Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Have an old oil portrait that has no signature but has a in…

Customer Question
Have an old oil...

Have an old oil portrait that has no signature but has a mark in the lower right

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I have a portrait with no signature...I will send an attachment with the mark...

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

OLD OIL

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Antiques
9/15/2017
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 11 months ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. Please add images at your convenience by using the +Add File feature next to the SEND button.

I will need to see to see pictures of the painting,
signature and any labels on the back of the completed framing. Give me time to do some research after you add pictures.
No need to sit by the computer, you will get an email when I do respond.

Info noted that file is too large It is a JPEG
I can send a few files...Full picture and a close up of the Monogram in the lower right corner...Paitng was a real mess and has been fully restored but was re-lined so no info from back...
Sorry – the file is too large. Please try a file 5MB or smaller.
Looks like it was transferred...Look at lower right corner for Monogram? Mark? Signature?
The LACMA artist in residence said it is "a painterly oil portrait"...but had no clue as to origin, country, or age...
that was before the restoration that you see now... I have already looked up the Family Crest on the top of the chair and have found nothing...The neck pendant jewelry is Renaissance..
Danner Portrait BT (7)I have spoken with Elisse Miziorski , the antique jewelry pro at GIA and she said it is renaissance, and probably Italian ...

I am unable to find a match for this item. I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer.
They will see our conversation and your photos. I am not able to respond once I opt-out. Good luck!

This is the way it has been since I started looking for an answer.....
Antique Expert: LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser replied 11 months ago
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser

Hi my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. Please allow time to review your photos and do some research on this I should able to have the information to you by this evening thank you I can see the design on lower right you speak of and will do my best to fully help you on this. I appreciate your patience this will take a bit of time to fully research this afternoon.

Why have I been billed twice...$34.00 and $48.00 ???Sep 15 2017
JustAnswer Payment
Loading transaction details for JustAnswer Payment
- negative $34.00
JustAnswer Payment
Sep 15 2017
JustAnswer Payment
-negative $48

Hello, I have no idea why this has happened. I am not an employee of the company. Appraisers are certified(credentials checked and verified) to be fully qualified to help customers here by answering their questions. We have no access to your personal information or handle any of the fees. We are not even paid until the customer has been answered fully with the response of the information. We receive our pay after the rating you have given once we are completed. I have been researching this painting and found the symbol to be that of Thomas Nash an Italian painter and have now been looking for a biography and more information on him.

To inquire on why you have been charged you can email***@******.*** I believe there are phone numbers customers may call also that I will look up for now for you also. If you clicked on a premium service such as a phone call that is a separate charge from the written question also but I have not seen you request a phone call since I have begun working on this with you. I will post the phone numbers here promptly. Thank you for the reply. I will be finishing the answer today with this painting also.

we as appraisers have no knowledge of or control over the finances of the site or what they charge customers.

Here is a link to discuss site charges:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

OR

Email address:

***@******.***

Or by phone:

US/Canada 1.***-***-****

Available 6am to 9pm PST

International

Australia 1800-679-634

New Zealand 0800-452-621

United Kingdom 0***-***-****

The rest of the world 1-***-***-****

Thomas Nash does not sound Italian, but who knows, an English portrait painter who went to Italy....

this is what I am researching as I thought the same when I found the symbol to be his I am working on this and will continue until I can find all the information I can on the piece it has been an experience.

As you can see that the portrait is really lovely and it was a gift 40 years ago and last year had it restored...Very happy with the result. The guy (Chris Stavroudis) who repaired the holes, re-wove the linen and removed the gobs of "restoration"...That took years and the in-painter cleaned all the "browned shellac". She painted the hair, lace shoulder wrap and the knot...
Even the frame maker did not know who the painter was...It has the "look" of a French J L David face and expression.....
I have searched for years and am no closer today....I sent the family crest to an English company and they said it "could be French or Spanish"....The necklace is similar to ***** and early Renaissance, said Elisse Mizioroski at GIA antique jewelry expert....So good luck....

Thank you and I am trying I do not give up but I am intrigued. I will post back when I have the completion in sight. I knew the lace had to have been added the other parts I noticed the linen had been rewoven. Interesting. thank you for the information as it does help me.

Chris re-lined the piece as it was separating from the frame...

Hi I am going to have to opt out of this as I have spent hours the last few days researching this and getting no where on this painting. It is a beautiful piece and can not find anything other then the symbol was associated with the artist of Thomas Nash to which I have found a few of his paintings but nothing concrete to tie him to this other then the symbol. I do not give up easily but this one has stumped me and would like to open it to other experts if they have knowledge to this piece and symbol that could help you better. Thank you and this has been interesting.

Maybe a lost Ingres or other old master or student.....Thanks for trying...This has stumped us for years as well...

Hi You are welcome, I worked hour on this and just can not bring it all together to say with certainty who the artist was. It is a nice painting and well done. Have you had it looked at by Christies Auction House?

http://www.christies.com/selling-services/auction-services/auction-estimates/overview/

You can send them photos and get a free evaluation for auction without ever selling it as that is up to you but they may be able to tell you more as to the stamp in the lower right corner. I will keep a copy of the photo and as time allows keep looking through things but I did want to stop here and open the question in case someone else could help you better. I appreciate you knowing I have really tried to find the artist there is not many I can not figure out this one got me lol.

Have a great week ahead.