LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

Eckelberry signrd, Black and (watercolor?)industrial scene,

Don Richard eckelberry signrd
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: Black and white (watercolor?)industrial scene
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: No

Hi my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. I will just need to know the size of this piece in order to give you a value on the painting and if it is framed or unframed, Thank you

Biography:

The following is from a January 28, 2001 obituary of the New York Times on the Web By MICHAEL POLLAK:

Don Richard Eckelberry, a prolific illustrator who was one of the country's foremost bird painters, died Jan. 14 in Bay Shore, N.Y. He was 79 and lived in Babylon, N.Y. He died of respiratory failure after surgery, said his wife,
Virginia.

Al Gilbert, past president of the Society of Animal Artists, said, "Don was probably in stature comparable to Roger Tory Peterson in the field of wildlife art and bird painting."

As illustrator of Richard Pough's Audubon Bird Guide in 1946, Mr. Eckelberry portrayed virtually all the birds of North America north of Mexico in all significant plumages, in 1,250 color pictures.

Dr. Durbin Rowland of the University of Chicago wrote of the first volume: "Each bird seems to have sat or rather perched for a portrait rich in distinguished traits, right in stance, in coloring and even in feathered personality." Audubon, the professor said, would have been thrilled.

Mr. Eckelberry's drawings and paintings are found in 14 books, including "An Introduction to Nature" by John Kieran, "A Field Guide to the Birds of the West Indies," "A Guide to the Birds of Trinidad and Tobago," "Our Amazing Birds" by Robert S. Lemmon, and the Audubon Western Bird Guide. He was a staff artist with the National Audubon Society in the 1940's but worked after that as a
freelance illustrator.

Les Line, editor in chief of Audubon magazine from 1966 to 1991, described Mr. Eckelberry's artwork, which he frequently published, as "fine art rather than draftsmanship."

Mr. Line said Mr. Eckelberry bucked a growing trend in the 1970's and 80's in which artists, working from photographs, put more and more detail into wildlife painting, including detail one could not hope to see in the field, until the painted birds ended up looking stuffed.

By contrast, he said, "Eckelberry's paintings really breathed life, and as they really looked in nature a bird flying over the ocean with waves breaking or flocks of skimmers lined up on shore."

Mr. Eckelberry was born and raised in Sebring, Ohio, and by the age of 15 had formed a bird club, was writing nature columns for two newspapers and had had a one-man show. He attended the Cleveland Institute of Art, where he met his future wife, who was his freshman design instructor, and spent a summer as a trailside naturalist for the Cleveland park system.

While working in a California optical company as part of the war effort, he went on a desert bird-watching trip with John H. Baker, director of the National Audubon Society, who promptly hired him.

Some of his early jobs for the society included being warden of wildlife sanctuaries in Louisiana, where he traveled to check on the nearly extinct ivory-billed woodpecker; Okeechobee, Fla.; and Cape May Point, N.J.

"Don was known as the consummate field man, making brilliant, lifelike sketches of birds throughout North, Central and South America," said Robert M. Peck, curator of art at the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia and a long time friend of Mr. Eckelberry's.

"He was also a fabulous raconteur, creating eerily convincing sound effects and affecting a wide range of accents as he wove captivating tales of his many adventures in the field."

In 1967, Mr. Eckelberry and two other conservationists raised money to buy Spring Hill Plantation, a thousand-acre estate in Trinidad well known to ornithologists because of its nesting oilbirds and a wide variety of other tropical species. They renamed it the Asa Wright Nature Center, after its former owner, and it is now a nonprofit center for ecotourism and research.

Don Richard Eckelberry= was active/lived in New York, Ohio. Don Eckelberry is known for wildlife, illustrator.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I sent pictures of the piece to you

thank you for letting me know I have not received them from the company yet. I will email now and inquire about them. Thank you

the email is ***@******.*** and in the email should have "for ladytanya65" I appreciate you letting me know.

Hello and thank you for your patience; the industrial = Watercolor and gouache / Paper black and white painting has a value of 425.00 This was a custom piece as he rarely did subjects outside his norm of wildlife. I appreciate your assistance and patience.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer it is just how I am paid from the site. Thank you.

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars: 1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all questions.

Hi I wanted to check in and see if I may be of further help on this for you. If not when you have a chance please rate my work as this is how I am paid for my research here at justanswer. It does not cost you anything just strictly how the company pays me by the rating system.