Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

How can bronze statues be aged, I really do have a friend

Customer Question

how can bronze statues be aged
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I really do have a friend who has a bronze of an Indian on horseback holding a bison skull above his head. It's about 30-32" high and there are no visible foundry marks however, it is clearly signed C M RUSSELL. It is a fact that he did a small version of this but there are no records of this size.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: The statue is in Scotland and we all know that Buck Mc Cain has made and sold scores or even hundreds os similar statues, some bigger than life and many through the Franklin mint all with ever so slight changes; his first one was done long after Russell died.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 month ago.

AGED BRONZE

Your question was "how can bronze statues be aged?"

A faux aged bronze effect can be achieved by using a chemical process of selenium dioxide

on the object. In a few moments it will make the piece look to have aged for decades and this is how reproduction companies achieve this look on modern pieces.

ABOUT THE STATUE

Buck McCain Studios , Remington, and CM Russell have all experienced replicas from China having been made of their sculptures, some even with the wrong artist's name on the reproduction.

The piece you mention is Pray to the Healing Spirit by Buck McCain, most likely a fake since you say it is signed CM Russell with no foundry marks. A piece of that size has a value of $100 to $150 as a decorative piece.

Please do click the stars now for this one (bonuses are also welcome!), it is very important for me
to get good feedback for answering.

Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 month ago.

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.