Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

9/13/2017
Antique Expert: Diana F., Antiques Appraiser replied 11 months ago
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi again JB.

.

That's fairly illegible, but I'll be glad to see what I can do.

~Diana

Hi JB.

I haven't had any luck determining who the artist is. I think the first name might be Arnold, but the last name is ***** ***** illegible.

.

I don't think it's a case of factory/decor art. The signature and style just doesn't reflect that. I think it's a case of an unknown artist. Now, I can value it. That won't be a problem at all. I just wanted to make sure you were okay with that before I typed up all my notes for you.

~Diana

I'm fine withnthst
With that.

Hi JB.

I'll be happy to.

.

It's a well done piece. It's water scene featuring a bit of a marsh with 2 ducks flying overhead at what looks like an early morning sunrise. It's a bit of an impressionistic style piece. There is definitely more focus on the way the light is interacting than capturing a perfect replica of the scene. There is a lot of subtle detailing, particularly in the small features of the ducks and along the tall reeds of the marsh grass. The artist has a fantastic technique. His brushwork is very well controlled and very light. It gives the entire piece a very soft, quiet feeling.

.

Given the style and the way the back looks, I'd say it's likely from around the mid 1900s. It should be worth about $200 to $250 at auction, but about $450 to $550 in a private sale.

.

Let me know if you have any questions.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.
If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Have a great evening,

~Diana