Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019
71377891

IN 1968 I BOUGHT A GISHA GIRL FIGRINE AT WOOLSWORTH FIVE AND

IN 1968 I BOUGHT A GISHA GIRL FIGRINE AT WOOLSWORTH FIVE AND DINE FOR $2.99. 30 YEARS LATER WHILE MOVING I NOTICED THE LEFT HAND WAS BROKEN. AT FIRST I THOUGHT A CLEANING GIRL HAD BROKEN IT AND PUT IT BACK TOGETHER. LATER CHANGING MY MIND. I THINK THIS WAS DONE AT THE FACTORY. THE REPAIR IS JUST TO PRECISE. NOW I THINK PERHAPS DRUGS WAS SHIPPED TO US IN THESE FIGURINE.

Thank you for the request here, I will look this over for you.

~Nora

Thank you for your patience.

This is a Chinese glazed blanc de chine porcelain figurine of GuanYin.

Blanc de Chine means an all-white glaze.

The removable left hand was done on purpose and is found on many of these export figurines.

The origin story of the removable left hand is that a fisherman found a statue of Guanyin which had lost its left arm. While the statue was with him he had ‘visions’ that she was asking him to replace her arm and promised him great luck betowed upon him if he did. He had a new arm made and his wishes began to come true.

Your statue is a ‘wish fulfilling Guanyin’. The owner is supposed to remove the arm and make a wish - then when the wish comes true, the owner is then to put the arm back on her.

The value on today’s market is $40 - $60.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora