Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

My wife inherited a collection of dolls and furniture circa

Customer Question
1876. This date established...
My wife inherited a collection of dolls and furniture circa 1876. This date established by looking thru a tiny binocular in the collection which displays an advertisement for the Philadelphia Exposition. I estimate over 500 objects including a 10 or so dolls with clothing. All these objects are miniature and about 8 inches high. I think all these are highly collectable and of some considerable. Would you care to comment. We live in Bridgewater VA and our phone is(###) ###-#### Philip & Leslie Bulken 6572 Vista Heights Road ZIP 22812
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: At one time this collection was displayed at The Munsen Williams Proctor Museum in Utica NY for six months in the early seventies. Can you recommend any appraisers in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/12/2017
Antique Expert: LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser replied 2 months ago
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser

Hi my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. I wil look up appraisers in your area to contact and see if they can help you with this set. aIso this all you are needing or would you like me to help you by reviewing the set you have and giving you information and values also? I would need photos of the set and close ups of any markings on the pieces to tell you about the pieces and values. I will look up the appraisers now and check back to list these for you now. Thank you

Hi I wanted to check back and see if you had replied with photos or if you were needing to know the appraisers in your area. Please let me know so I may help you completely on these pieces Thank you

I have finally gotten help to get send some pictures of our doll house contents and had them forwarded to you on Sept 21st. have not used our digital camera since our 50th anniversary over 10 years ago and it is not easy to use. My son says scrap the camera and get an easy to use point and unit. I think the I-phone my neighbor used will allow you to zoom in and see more detail. Note the small opera glasses on the rug on the middle shelf--- they advertise the 1876 Philadelphia Expo.

Hello, I have received the photos of the collection and what a beautiful collection. You are correct this collection holds a considerable value and each piece looks to be in excellent condition it has been well cared for time. Please allow me to go through each photo and I will note what the value sare on the pieces I can see well enough. You also spoke of wanting an expert in your area. Once I have completed the photos I will also list appraisers in your area so you may further the examination with someone in person. I will be noting the photo and items I can evaluate here to give you an idea of what you have to start with and go from there. Thank you I do appreciate the photos.

Antique Expert: LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser replied 1 month ago

Hello, thank you for your patience. This has been a wonderful collection and has taken a great deal of time to go through. They have been well taken care of and I have researched the items for accurate values on the pieces I could say with certain.

I have listed also area appraisers and appraisal fairs at the end in your area that would be go to attend to talk to the experts explain what you have and find one that you are comfortable with in having come to your home to view and go over in detail the collection. .

I will start with the photo marked image2.png

marble table on the left $250.00-300.00

doll in off white gown 500.00

spinning wheel 350-400.00

man doll laying down to right of spinning wheel 375.00

various items on this top shelf I can not clearly see even when enlarged however they appear to be in good condition and the wooden pieces would run 150-200.00 each as they are hand carved. The larger furniture pieces on the right in the back 200-250.00 and could value more if signed. At this time era many of these pieces were signed.

Same photo bottom shelf

Here there are some excellent pieces you have woven baskets 300-325.00 each, porcelain dishes 500.00 for the set- these could be stamped or signed also, 2 rectangular tables 150.00 each the three legged table 185.00, chest on left in front 175.00, yellow barrel 125.00, wash board and barrel 125.00 for the set, back row cupboards- left to right - 100.00 , white shelves 225.00, smaller cabinet 125.00, next larger brown shelves 250.00 all of these may have a marking or name on them also, looks to be wooden bowls and dishes 275.00 for set if wooden it pottery 350.00 for set. there are many buckets - pots - pans - all run 45-65.00 each. wooden chair 75.00, far left on the floor in front of woven basket is the ash pan and scraper 85.00 , on the far right it looks to be a wood stove if cast iron 250.00. There is a whole collection to fill a doll house completely here and many quality pieces.

Photo image 1.png

top shelf left to right

rocker with what looks to have a cat sitting on it 75.00

wooden table and chair in back 100.00

wash basin on stand 150.00

crib in front of wash basin 85.00

green tub 85.00

baby in basket 75.00

bath tub in back 125.00

toilet with chain 200.00

rocker in front of toilet 100.00

sink in front to right of toilet 125.00

loveseat 250.00

doll in gray dress 350-375.00

bassinet netting hanging in back 200.00

picture on easel 300.00

bed on far right 425.00

second shelf in this photo is the first shelf in photo image 1.png

i can see the back items now better and will go through items not covered above

left to right

purple(?) couch far left.....250.00

round table behind marble table 125.00

piano 275.00

doll man sitting 250.00

desk in back 250.00

paintings on easels 250.00 each

2 painted buffets 300.00 each

rug 200.00

in the photo image.png of the overall cabinet they are stored in 1200.00

This is a beautiful collection and age is correct 1850s-1890 period. I would need to really inspect and look for names on any of these pieces as the values can be more then stated above if signed.

I have checked throughout the museum website to see if I could find anything on this collection exhibit however was unable to. If you have paperwork on the exhibit that does add value also to this collection. If you do not, you may wish to contact the museum and see if they have records you could get a copy of on the exhibit when it was displayed. This shows the collection was exhibited during that time.

You have a wonderful historic collection. It represents the true form of a doll house content. During this time items were hand made and done in such care and craftsmanship. The collection as a whole is very unique and wonderful to have.

I will list below appraisers in your area or close to the town you live in. Having an appraiser come to your home will be expensive but well worth the overall value of the collection it would be worth having someone go over each piece to help you verify the items and check for names on pieces. The dolls alone are valuable and in original clothes it appears.

https://www.mwpai.org/about/history/

The link below is to an appraisal fair coming November 4th. You could take a few items to this fair if you wish and ask if they know of an expert appraiser in miniature doll house items to come evaluate the whole collection or even just attend and ask about the appraisers. I put on appraisal fairs on the west coast like this and there are usually several experts in all fields to help customers. This would be an excellent event to attend and talk to the appraisers to find one you feel comfortable with.

https://bellegrove.org/calendar/antiques_appraisal

__________________________________________

GNC ANTIQUES & COLLECTIBLES

*****br />Winchester, VA

_________________________________

http://www.mgrove.com/

link above is to an appraiser of personal property, antiques and fine art

_____________________________________

Antique Barn
121 Carpenter Ln. Harrisonburg, VA 22801 |(###) ###-####br />Offers an extensive variety of items at reasonable prices. With 61 dealer booths, it is home to the best selections of Shenandoah Valley Antiques in the area such as farm items, valley crocks, old tools, and primitive furniture. Located inside the Shenandoah Heritage Farmer’s Market.

____________________________________

Appraisal Event

• Sunday, October 22, 2017
  • 2:30pm 3:30pm

Appraisal event at Campbell County Historical Society.

http://www.campbellcountyvahistoricalsociety.org/page11.html

________________________________________

To find an expert you may try calling area antique stores and ask them if they know of an appraiser of miniature doll furniture, dolls and house items from the late 1800s era also. Most stores will know experts that specialize in these items.

If I can help you further please let me know and again thank you for your patience as I have done a great deal of research on these and I have listed values to the pieces I could really see and evaluate. It will give an idea of what the monetary value is however overall being a collection inherited it means a great deal more I am sure. Thank you for sharing this with me.

___________________________________________

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer it is just how I am paid from the site. Thank you.

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars: 1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all questions.

Hi I wanted to check back if there was anything else I may help you with? This is a very nice collection and representation of dolls and doll house furnishing from the period. Thank you
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser