Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a set of my grandmother's flatware and I am curious

Customer Question

Hello I have a set of my grandmother's flatware and I am curious as to the value of the service. It says Wm Rogers*sectional on the back.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I think I asked the wrong kind of appraiser about Wm Rogers*Sectional flatware. How can I tell if it's sterling silver or plated? I got this from my grandmother.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: That's all.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as a dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-up offers. Although I am USPAP-trained, the assessments given here do not meet USPAP requirements.
Thoughtful responses take time. My responses are not instantaneous.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send ONE photo of ONE whole fork showing the pattern.

Please send clear, close-up photo of the marks and/or words on the reverse.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

OR -

Site Help With Photos:

1-***-***-****

The Help service with photos does not cost extra. This is not the same as the pop-up that asks about phone calls. The pop-up is an extra phone call service related to the appraisal, not photos.

I do not send pop-up offers.

"Complete Sets" come in many different sizes.

Please tell me the following -

How many people does your set serve? (These are called place settings)

How many pieces does each person have? (This is the number of pieces in each place setting.)

What serving pieces are there? These can add as much as 30% to the value of a set.

!!!!!Please do not send photos of the whole set. I cannot tell what pieces are in a set via such a photo!!!!

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
HI Doris, I can't send pictures, I do not have the original box but I have an eight place setting. Looking at the knife it says stainless on the knife. It has a floral pattern. I understand this is not as valuable as sterling. I think I answered my own question by answering your question!
Expert:  Doris replied 1 month ago.

Yes, if it were sterling, it would say sterling since it is American.

It most probably is plated silver where almost all modern blades are stainless steel.

I can give you a general idea of the value if you tell me the following:

The exact wording/numbers on the back.

Your set serves 8.

How many pieces does each person have?

What serving pieces are there?

Kind regards,

Doris