Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a silver cup and spoon that was passed down to my

Customer Question

I have a silver cup and spoon that was passed down to my wife that we would like to have appraised.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: The cup was made by H. Salisbury & Co and has a E & P stamped on the bottom. The side of the cup has Rebecca and the date June 13th 1845 centered on it inside of the design. It also has a second date that appears to have been added that is April 28th, 1896. I believe that this cup belonged to my Great Grandmother, and am told that it was hidden in a well during the war to keep it safe.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: Not at this time
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 month ago.

My name isCustomerand I look forward to working with you.

Please add pictures of the item(s) and any maker's marks by clicking the Add Files button.

The Add Files feature will prompt you to locate the file you'd like to attach from your computer.
You can repeat this process to attach more than one picture.
Add one, write a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 month ago.

I need to also know the mark on the back of the spoon. It is a different maker and era.

Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 month ago.

This is a coin silver baby cup made by Henry Salisbury and Company of New York, New York

in 1835 to 1840. The cup was engraved later with the name of Rebecca, apparently a young girl that did not live for more than a year. Usually, the born date is all that is on a baby cup and is given as a gift at christening. This one has the death date as well. Coin silver is 900 purity silver and sterling silver is 925 purity silver by comparison, meaning 900 parts out of 1000 or 90% silver and 10% other alloys. The cup has a current value of $285 retail.

The spoon is a later piece, maybe 1900 to 1940, looks to be sterling in a buttercup pattern and would be valued at $35 retail.

Please do click the stars now for this one (bonuses are also welcome!), it is very important for me
to get good feedback for answering.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do not currently have a picture of the back of the spoon. I will upload it later this evening.
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 month ago.

Great. Go ahead and click the stars now and we can finish with the spoon later.

Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 month ago.

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.

Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 month ago.

Please do add photos of the back of the spoon at your convenience, thanks!