LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

I have found a copy of the declaration of Independence in an

I have found a copy of the declaration of Independence in an untouched bundle of 1st edition books from the mid to late1800s. I believe it may be an authentic copy from that era. Given the circumstances that it was found.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: The document is 15"5/8 tall x 13"7/8 wide t
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: It was found folded up in an 1850s copy of the history of Pendennis. The printed text from out to out is 11"5/8. There are ink droplets in a couple places on the document and it feels like vellum.

Hi my name is***** am a certified apprasier and would be happy to help you. Here is information on the original copies made taken from

https://www.constitutionfacts.com/us-declaration-of-independence/true-copy-of-declaration-of-independence/:

The Stone Copies

In 1820, in response to a wave of patriotism following the War of 1812 and in advance ofthe nation's 50th birthday, John Quincy Adams commissioned Washington DCengraver William Stone to produce a facsimile of the original engrossed Declaration'stext and the 56 signatures of the members of the Continental Congress.

Stone required three years to complete his task and the results were a remarkablyaccurate engraved copper plate. History does not record his exact technique ormethodology, but various rumors over the years included the employment of a trackingdevice, tracing and even a suspicion that Stone's skills included those of a master forger.

It is now widely accepted that Stone utilized carefully placed mirrors and his exemplary engraving skills in a painstakingly tedious process to create his printing plate. With the discovery of the Anastatic Declaration it is proven Stone was a master engraver as they are nearly identical.

Stone completed the engraving of the copper plate in 1823 and sold it to the State Department. A congressional resolution passed on May 26, 1824 with an order placed for 200 copies, on vellum. These copies were to be distributed to official repositories,significant office holders and the surviving signers of the Declaration, including Thomas Jefferson, ***** ***** and Charles Carroll. Two copies were given to the Marquisd' Lafayette when he visited America in 1824.

At 24 x 30 inches, the Stone facsimile is very close to the original engrossed Declarationin size. At the top is a line that reads "Engraved by W.I. STONE for the Department of State by order of J.Q. Adams Secy of State July 4, 1823." After the 1823 printing this imprint line was burnished off of the copperplate and a new imprint was added to the bottom left, below the first column of signatures. "W. J. STONE WASHN."

Later printings from the Stone copperplate are the same size but printed on paper, not parchment or vellum, and have the imprint bottom left. Even with this alteration,collectors still prize later Stone copies on vellum.

Stone's copperplate is currently in the National Archives in Washington DC.

_____________________________________________

The true copies were 24 x 30" by W.I. STONE

The one you have is 15 5/8" x 14 7/8" which were copies made for the public in the late 1900 early 1900s.

On vellum and by the size you have the value is 350-400.00 and dates to the late 1900-early 1900 period. I have seen three of these this size and know what you are explaining here. Thank you for coming to justanswer and if I may help further please let me know.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer it is just how I am paid from the site. Thank you.

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars: 1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all questions.

Hello I wanted to check back and see if there were any further questions on this item for me? If you have no further questions please rate my work so I may be paid fro the company for my research and time. It does not cost you anything more to kindly rate the response. Thank you I hope I have helped you ompletely on this and if not please let me know how I may help further.