AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

I have two stoneware w/ handle near 1-1/2" opening at top,

Customer Question

I have two stoneware jugs w/ handle near 1-1/2" opening at top, about 18" tall, salt-glazed formerly painted. they have very large embossed imprint in the clay on their bottoms....Aztec inspired symbolism in a shield design. Any value or guess as to age/maker?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: Inherited from my mother-in-law who was quite talented on selecting antiques of various kinds.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 month ago.

Please send images at your convenience.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It will have to be tomorrow. They are out doors and always have been. It's night time now. Thought the most important thing would be identifying the impressed "brand" on the bottom of them.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 month ago.

Any time is fine, no rush. ~ Nora

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here are photos....even cleaned off the one job which has more deeply embossed crest on the bottom is hardly visible..on the other jug someone evidently painted the bottom as well as the outside and the embossing is only visible in a couple of places.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the images. Please allow me some time to look these over for you.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 month ago.

Hi There,

I am not able to decipher the maker marks on these.

I will opt-out and open your question again to all the experts at no additional charge. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra. There is not a guarantee that you will receive a response.

I will not be able to respond back after opting-out

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

~Nora

Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

Stylistically, these look quite early. But I can't see the mark in your photos--I know, it's really tough with embossed marks.

Is there any way you could make a rough sketch of it for me and upload a photo of that?

Jennifer

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Possible, but not soon....leftovers from Irma coming in right now. Unsure how clear I can make it. Went through a bunch of registered marks online but found none even remotely similar. Thank you for your interest for now.

Oh, goodness, stay safe! My in laws are on Hilton Head Island.

Update me when you can. Just a vague sketch will help. No hurry at all.

Jennifer

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The weather has just cleared up and I've tried everything I can think of to make the marks on the bottom decipherable...have tried rubbings, cleaning, different lighting, scrubbing, even looked for colored sands (no luck there). In different lighting, tried magic marker to show the lines that are most visible. When it was dirtier, I could see portions that showed more detail I thought that were slightly Aztec looking but those have disappeared. Can't see anything so far that even hints at a logo. Here are the photos. You can judge for yourself.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Had a hard time uploading these pix. Already hit "send" three times. Will try again.

OK. I don't think that's a mark. I think that's the way the clay settled at the bottom.

Based on the shape, these seem to be 19th century, and Southern American--likely North or South Carolina.

The retail value would be approximately $500.00 for the pair.

I hope you came through the hurricane without damage!

If you have additional questions about this item, I am happy to continue working with you. Just continue our discussion in the reply box.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you, please rate my answer. I am not paid by the site until you do. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer, and I will continue to be available if you have more questions on the item. Thank you.

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars. I always strive for 5 star service, but please rate as you feel is appropriate. However, if you are considering a low rating, please try to give me the opportunity to improve my service to you first!

If you’d like to request me for future questions, please put " for Jennifer only" in your post. I respond to requested questions first.

Sincerely,

Jennifer