Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a silver & Barton water pitcher that says & Barton

Customer Question

Hello, I have a silver Reed & Barton water pitcher that says Reed & Barton and has the number 3 and on half and initials PT??
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: What does this mean? It's also says 1969, it's heave!!
JA: Some old shoes of my mother's. They'd been handed down and were real 1920's dancing shoes. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: I was trying to see if it was silver? Magnets don't stick and it feel like silver, but not sure with just those markings I mentioned and the year?? Can you help me??
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 month ago.

My name isCustomerand I look forward to working with you.

Please add pictures of the item(s) and any maker's marks by clicking the Add Files button.

The Add Files feature will prompt you to locate the file you'd like to attach from your computer.
You can repeat this process to attach more than one picture.
Add one, write a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here's pictures!
Can you tell me if it's silver?
Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, just offer me your expert opinion!!
Thank you so much for helping me!!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you have a response??
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you there??
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 month ago.

This is a Reed and Barton 20th century silver plated (not sterling) water pitcher that holds

3 1/2 pints and is in shape 1269 (numbers are not clear, but those are the shape numbers).

This piece has a current value of $35.00.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local) , Wanelo.com, http://www.decluttr.com, Bonanza.com, Ioffer.com, Etsy.com,
Ebay and letgo.com (local).

You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.

Please do click the stars now for this one (bonuses are also welcome!), it is very important for me
to get good feedback for answering.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The date is 1969,
I'm sorry it says 3 1/4 PT.
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 month ago.

1969 is the shape number and 3 1/4 is the capacity that the pitcher holds, 3 1/4 pints.

The pitcher dates to 1950 to the 1970's based on this pattern number.

This is silver plated and not sterling, making the pitcher worth about $35 retail.

to get good feedback for answering.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What tells you it's silver plated and not silver??
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 month ago.

Sterling silver is required by law to be marked with the word STERLING or the number (s) 925 or 925/1000.

If the silver is not marked at all, the chance is 99.9% that it is silver plated.

I have been buying and selling sterling and silver plate for many years and have good experience with it.

I do hope my answer helped you.
If we are done here, please click the stars for me so that the site will credit me (separately from what you pay)
for answering.

Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 month ago.

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.