Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

Japanes bayonet. markings on top of indicate Toyada

Japanes bayonet. markings on top...
Japanes bayonet. markings on top of tang indicate Toyada Jidoshoki Seisakusho Arsenal. 4 digit ser # appears to be 6645. Blade is 7 5/8" with fuller. No markings on blade that I can see. Have scabbard and leather sheath. value?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: That's all I know.
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: Handle has screws.
9/8/2017
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi Randy,

This is Robert here I'd be happy to confirm the inscription and maker for you if you can attach a clear close-up or two. Also a photo of the blade and scabbard, too, so I can assess condition.

Many thanks,
Robert.

i"ll get back as soon as I get pics.

Thanks, ***** ***** I'll be here whenever you're ready.

Robert.

Hi Randy,

Many thanks for the photos. I'm beginning to see what you have now but the photos are not quite clear enough for me to be able to see much of the detail or condition.

This is a nice bayonet and a rare one.

Do you have any history or provenance for it? Is it a family piece or did you acquire it?

It looks like one of the "Type 100" or "Test Type 1" short fighting knife/bayonets used by paratroopers that mounted to a Type 100 sub-machine gun or Type 2 Paratroop rifle.

How much of the original bluing would you say is left on the metal? How would you rate it on a scale of 1-5 where 5 is perfect original blue, no rust pitting, no disfiguration from re-sharpening, etc?

Thanks,
Robert

I have no history or provenance. Step daughter acquired it as a gift. Would rate the bluing at least a 3. No rust or other blemishes on the bayonet. Some rust and pitting on the scabbard, particularly where not protected by the leather sheath.

Thanks so much for the extra information, that helps a lot. It sounds like it's in pretty good condition. Certainly the leather frog (the standard design with a pair of loops for attaching to a belt) looks to be in excellent condition. Sometimes you can see faint traces of kanji characters and numbers (in Japanese) ink-stamped onto the back of the frog just under the loops.

This particular model, the "Type 100" Paratroop Bayonet was always marked on the tang like this, because having such a short blade and fuller extending back almost to the guard, there was no room on the ricasso where the mark is normally struck on the longer version.

The four digit serial number on the pommel sounds right. There should also be a tiny Nagoya inspection mark above it.

Toyoda (also spelled "Toyada") Jido Shokki Seisakusho (Toyoda Automatic Loom Works) made bayonets under Nagoya Army Arsenal supervision from 1938–1945, but I believe this one was restricted to a short period from 1941 - 1942.

The kanji character 自 ("ji") in the lozenge (an armorial motif known as igeta in Japan) is the 2nd style that Toyoda used which would bear this out. To the right is the Nagoya Arsenal marking.

With good provenance, in other words obtained from a well known battle site, such as Iwo Jima or Guadalcanal, for instance, these fighting knife bayonets can sell at auction for as much as $2000. Even without a good story, however, this is still an incredibly rare and desirable piece and would sell at auction or on line (eBay etc) in the range of $1200 - $1800.

I would therefore insure it for at least $3500 as this is the full 'retail' value if you were to see it for sale in an antique store, say.

I do hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert.

Thank you Robert, that's great info. Randy

You're welcome, thanks for asking me about it!

Robert S.
Robert S.
Robert S.