LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

What sort of value would an original Sir Lawrence pastel

Customer Question

What sort of value would an original Sir Thomas Lawrence pastel painting fetch? There is a message inscribed by the artist himself on the back of the frams.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: The actual painting is about 15" tall in an oval frame, painted in 1785 I believe, of Lady Charlotte Finch, governess to the King George III's children.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: I don't think so.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 1 month ago.

Hi My name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help yuo. Please post a photo if possible and close up of the signature of artist. I can then review and give you an accurate value to the piece. If photos are not available I have looked up his pastels and can give you an estimated value if you would like. To post photos here click on the file upload or paperclip button and follow the prompts. Thank you I look forward to helping you.

Hi I have found the following information on the painting. Thank you for your patience. I wanted to give you the following information if you werent able to provide a photo so you have a general idea of values. Thank you for coming to just answer and if I may be of further help please let me know.

At 15" oval portrait framed has a value of 4500-5500.00 in todays market of Lady Charlotte Finch, governess to the King George III's children.

Lady Charlotte Finch ( 14 February 1725 – 11 July 1813) served as royal governess to the children of King George III and Queen Charlotte for over thirty years, holding the position from 1762 to 1793.

If you are looking for insurance value to have this insured it would have an insured value of 6800.00 in todays value.

_________________________________________

Thomas (Sir) Lawrence

Born: 1769 - Bristol, England
Died: 1830 - London, England
Known for: portrait painting

________________________________

Sir Thomas Lawrence was born in England in 1769. At the age of five he began selling crayon likenesses to the patrons of his father's tavern in Bristol; at twenty, he was the rage of London and at fifty he had painted most of Europe's royalty. He never lost a sitter because of an unflattering likeness. Reynolds had a great deal of influence on Lawrence, but with him the master's smoothness and graciousness became all too often softness and insipidity.

His most famous painting, "Pinkie", a child-portrait of genuine charm and dignity, is the very essence of English art of the Regency. The subject was Sarah Moulton-Barrett whose brother Edward was to become the notorious domestic tyrant whose daughter Elizabeth Barrett achieved immortality as poet and the wife of ***** *****ing.

Lawrence's male portraits were almost uniformly distinguished but he was principally a painter of women. In 1815 he was knighted and he became president of London's Royal Academy in 1820. He died in 1830.

Written and submitted by Jean Ershler Schatz, artist and researcher from Laguna Woods, California.

Sources include:
Metropolitan Museum of Art Miniatures
Same of English Paintings in the Huntington Gallery
Masterpieces of Art, catalogue of the New York World Fair 1940

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer it is just how I am paid from the site. Thank you.

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars: 1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all questions.

Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 20 days ago.