LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

I am wanting to get a large hand made screen appraised. It

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I am wanting to get a large hand made screen appraised. It was made in Thailand for a very wealthy person.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: My parents bought a house in Long Beach California from a women from Thailand and she sold them the screen. It is floor to ceiling and about 12 feet long. I have photos of the screen that I could send. There also is the artist name in the corner I could share with you. How does this service work? What is the fee?
JA: Some old shoes of my mother's. They'd been handed down and were real 1920's dancing shoes. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: I think sending the photos would help them.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 month ago.

Please send images at your convenience.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
where would I send images to?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do I wait now on the website or do you email me?
Expert:  Nora replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the images.

Please add a photo of the signature on this that you mention.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will take that photo today.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 month ago.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Signature has been uploaded.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 month ago.

Hi There,

I am not able to decipher the signature.

I will opt-out and open your question again to all the experts at no additional charge. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra. There is not a guarantee that you will receive a response.

I will not be able to respond back after opting-out

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

~Nora

Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. The peacock and pheasants embroidered on the silk screen is a predominant piece and well done. Peacock symbolism: Vision, Royalty, Spirituality, Awakening, Guidance, Protection, & Watchfulness. In Japan the pheasant is a divine messenger for Amaterasu, the great sun goddess. This screen was done in 1930-1940s and I can not find the artist name in any known artist book. This means little as these were done by several people usually and the took many weeks to complete. The quality and size is what is so dramatic and holds value. A screen this size and of this quality has a value of 10,000.00 to 12,000.00 in today's market. Over time this piece will only increase as the condition , size and beauty is rare to see . It has been well kept and out of direct sunlight which will fade the coloring. For insurance purposes if you are looking to insire this piece the insured value would be 14,000.00 and a realistic value in selling on the open market in todays standards would be 7500-8,000 as people will not pay full value and always look to get a deal.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer it is just how I am paid from the site. Thank you.

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars: 1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all questions.

Hello i wanted to check back and see if I may be of further help or if you had any further questions on this item? If I have helped you completely please take a moment to rate the work I have done on the this piece so I may be compensated for it. I appreciate your help.

Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 27 days ago.