Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have an apparently hand-carved rather large (not partner

Customer Question

I have an apparently hand-carved rather large (not partner size) oak or mahogony desk which I believe dates back to the turn of the century. I is carved around the top, down the sides and across then bottom . One the side of the center cut-out for a chair are two curved doors (carved all around which appear to be made of burled wood. The desk sits on four lions paw feet (which are not now, but may once have been attached to it). There is an intricately carved drawer in the front of the desk and, on the other side is a carved out self (plain, not ornaIe). I do have some photograhs which do not do it justice....perhaps I should take more and in a better setting. (I took these when I was moving from NYC to MA.) I have not been able to find any signature on the desk (although it is too heavy for me to life up). A friend told me that it was probably made for one of the Newport, RI mansions, and is a replica of an ornately carved English desk. That would make some sense since my family has ties to that area in the late 1900s (although they certainly didn't live in one of the mansions). I don't know how to go about getting it appraised. Having looked at other desks on eBay, I would estimate that it is worth at least $2,000 or more. What would you suggest?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: The desk is in quite good condition, has never been refinished etc. The curved doors on either side of the seating area are ornately carved around the burled wood. There is one shelf inside of each of the doors and there is a lock in the carved portion of the outside of each door...NO key.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 month ago.
Hello, Please send images at your convenience
Expert:  Nora replied 1 month ago.

Hi~

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Nora,
Can't find the old photos. Will have to take some new ones. I won't be able to send a photo of the back of the desk because I moved and it is now up against a wall. Aside from the shelf and the same carving as that around the desktop.
I can't move the desk because it is quite heavy and just sits on the lion's paw feet.
I won't be able to do this until Sun. at the earliest. I hope this won't be a problem.
Please let me know. If I can locate the older photos, I'll send them sooner.
Thank you,
Jean Schreier
Expert:  Nora replied 1 month ago.

Hi Jean,

Any time is fine, no rush.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks, I'll get photos to you ASAP.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 month ago.

Hi~

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 month ago.

You can try emailing your images to *****@******.*** and write “For Nora/Antiques” in the subject line of the email.

Photos sent by email do not arrive to me directly nor instantly, they get forwarded to me by admin.

~Nora