Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

Robert S. How are you doing? I have a couple things I'd like

Customer Question

Hello Robert S. How are you doing? I have a couple things I'd like to send you. These are mirror images of each other which I find strange but hey what do I know. I have bee MIA for about a month or so. I have lost 4 very dear friends in the last 6 weeks. And lost another a couple days ago. So I will be leaving town when my son flies in. Then he and I will be driving 4 hrs north to lay his mentor to rest. It's gonna the worst one . He passed with no warning and my son is a mess. This man was a father figure for him when he turned 14. This man sponsored Josh to go to Brother Rice. They are very special to both of us. I bought lamp also, I'll get that to you asap. Tomorrow I have to go see the surgeon who did my knee, I believe I have fluid under the cap, the swelling is real bad and after 5 months it should have cleared up. I'm sure I'm just on it to much, but I've no choice. Tell me something good k.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Angela--Mod replied 1 month ago.
I am a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. Thank you for your patience.
Best,
Angela
Senior Moderator
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 month ago.

Poor you and what a loss for your son. What a tragedy. I can't tell you anything 'good' except to grieve, and let your son grieve, it's the healthiest thing right now. It's okay to feel like you've been hit sideways by a freight train. We sleepwalk through life most of the time until moments like this when you wake up and see what really matters. Everything you need right now to get through this is within you. You and your son will have a sad but deeply memorable time journeying north to close a chapter and celebrate an angel who brought the best out in your son.

More soon!

R

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there is the good. You. Thank you Robert, it's all true, everything you said. We found a cabin to rent on Lake Michigan, its close to our extended family and Josh said this morning, "Mom Mr. Vidosh, taught me what it is to be a man." And you taught me how to be a good husband and hopefully one day a good father. I have all my tools mom. I'm ready for the next phase." I was very proud at that moment, we will see how WE do on Saturday and SUNDAY, we are staying til Tuesday. His flight comes in late Friday night. It will be good to see him also. I so enjoy talking to you, I feel much better, a little stronger. Your a good man Robert.
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 month ago.

"I have all my tools, mom" That's such a mature thing to say, and an equally reassuring thing for a mom to hear. Well done the both of you. Relax, enjoy the peace & solitude of Lake Michigan and your nearest and dearest.

Best wishes as always.

R

Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 month ago.

H Cindy,

These vases are one of the nicest pieces you've shown me so far.

They are also quite old. They were almost certainly made at the Bristol Glass Works in England and date to the late 1890s to early 1900s when this ivory-colored decor, sponged with gold around the rims and embellished with botanical subjects painted with great realism and charm.

Bristol Glass were attempting to copy what Royal Worcester were so popular for at the time in porcelain, and Bristol did an excellent job of imitating it. Also, it takes much more skill to enamel glass because the temperature required to fuse the enamel to the surface of the vase is about the same temperature as the glass itself, thus one more degree of heat could spell disaster.

This type of opaque glass is often called opaline, a term coined by the French glass makers of the 19th century, and in France refers to all colors of opaque glass, not just the 'milk' or 'ivory' color.

Yours are very nicely hand painted and, as you mentioned, mirror images of one another, which is not strange at all, it's actually a sign of great quality and known as a "true pair" because they are harder to make than simple superimposable facsimile copies. I believe the flowers are meant to be Japanese anemones, what do you think? Anemones and poppies were enormously popular at the time. Or they could be hellebores?

As for value, true pairs of Victorian Bristol glass are rare and at 11" tall these are a good size, too. However, antique glass has always been the poor relation compared to porcelain and prices are never what they should be considering it takes just the same amount of art, skill and time to produce them in either material.

This pair would eBay in the range of $175 - $250 for the pair.

So they have a full retail/replacement value of $500 for the pair.

Hope this is useful info!

Best wishes,
Robert.

PS. I hope you and Josh are having a wonderfully peaceful time on the tranquil shores of Lake Michegan while we are about to get slammed with Irma. They are talking about 50mph gusts as far north as Atlanta and here in S. Tennessee. Nothing like what the poor dudes of Barcuda got pummelled with, but disrupting nonetheless. Imagine sticking your hand out of a car window at 180 miles an hour and then imagine your whole house going that speed. Puts our own troubles in perspective, eh?

R.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was 8 months pregnant with the boy when hurricane Alicia came ripping through Galveston. Galveston was almost 2 hrs from my house. I was freaked out as my France doors in the bedroom started swaying and shakin. Barbuda is all but gone. Miami is going to take a cat 5 in the center of it. It's a 4 now but any speed will 5 it in no time. Robert please hunker down, be safe if ya have to leave leave. Your lives are so much more important than your belongings. Joshie's plane lands in an hour, be glad to see him out of Texas and safer here in the warm cozy mitten.
I'm floored to get this info from you on these faces, I paid 35$ for them at the auction house. I'm looking for a old stunning piece kinda like that teapot from dalton, before it became royal doulton. I love the beauty and grace of that piece so I went there thinking I can buy something nice for less and get a good appraisal on its age and rarely. They didn't have anything that I really wanted and I saw these, she said take em for 35$ I'm thinking not what I want but it's a nice pair, noticed the mirror images of the floral and said yeah I'll take em. I can get something later. And look $500.00! Lol
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 month ago.

You did brilliantly for $35. Always trust your eye, well done!

Thanks for the well wishes, we'll be as safe here as anywhere. We have a generator that runs on mains natural gas, so as long as that keeps pumping we'll do fine.

Josh's plane should be landed by now. Enjoy the wonderful reunion and talk to you later. R