Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I found a table at a second hand store and was wondering if…

I found a table at...
I found a table at a second hand store and was wondering if it is a good value. Unfortunately, I have not seen it in person yet, I only have the pictures that the store posted on Instagram. The description is, "Victorian Claw-and-ball foot parlor table! A thick square top and intricate molding, beautiful wood grain, slanted cabriole legs finish to brass claws clutching glass balls! In amazing condition, minus a few nicks and light surface wear to the wood! Measures 24" W x 29" H. $75.
8/22/2017
AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

This is an absolutely lovely Victorian side table, and an excellent deal at $75. It has ornately turned legs, brass claws, glass balls, and a lovely finish. Even with condition problems, the typical resale on this would be in the $800 - $1000 range.

If you have additional questions about this item, I am happy to continue working with you. Just continue our discussion in the reply box.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you, please rate my answer. I am not paid by the site until you do. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer, and I will continue to be available if you have more questions on the item. Thank you.

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars. I always strive for 5 star service, but please rate as you feel is appropriate. However, if you are considering a low rating, please try to give me the opportunity to improve my service to you first!

If you’d like to request me for future questions, please put " for Jennifer only" in your post. I respond to requested questions first.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

I am going to see it in person after work. Hopefully it does not sell before then. Is there anything in particular that I should look for in regards ***** *****? The claws, glass balls, etc ...?

Look at the construction underneath. Make sure you don't see any obvious glue, screws, etc. that look very new. Or a label or tag from a reproduction maker! Make sure the finish of the underside matches the finish of the top.

AppraiserJM
Thank you! Unfortunately, I just called the store to ask if it was still available (it was only posted 3 hours ago). They said it sold within the last 30 minutes.
Perhaps I will be in touch in the future. This store frequently posts unique antique items but they go very quickly. Which is why most people buy over the phone before even looking at the item.

Oh no, too bad! Good luck next time!