Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have a gavel that states that it has been certified by

Centuries - apparently from the...
I have a gavel that states that it has been certified by Centuries - apparently from the White House roof 1815 to 1927
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/22/2017
AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

Is it possible to upload photos of the item, including any and all marks?

If you don’t have photos, I can do my best without them—just let me know—but it’s more accurate with photos.

There should be a +ADD FILES feature next to our Send button.

If not, then there is a paperclip above the reply box that you click to attach photos.

The photos won’t upload unless you also have at least one word in the text box! You won’t see the attached photo along with the text before you post it, but you will see the paperclip or attach button turn green.

I look forward to working with you.

Sincerely, Jennifer

Here they are !
IMG_5130.JPGIMG_5130.JPGIMG_5131.JPGIMG_5131.JPGIMG_5132.JPGIMG_5132.JPGIMG_5133.JPGIMG_5133.JPGIMG_5134.JPGIMG_5134.JPG

"Certified by Centuries"

Longleaf pine after 112 years service in the

White House Roof 1815 to 1927

National Lumber Manufacturer's Association

This sovuenir item was made of white pine taken from the roof of the President's mansion, during the Coolidge administration. Here's a piece about these souvenir items:

"The White House suffered considerable damage during the War of 1812, and by the early 20th century, major structural restoration of the building became necessary. Some reconstruction took place in 1902 and 1927 and White House relic wood gavels from roof materials were issued at that time by various organizations, who affixed their own labels or metal plates with commemorative inscriptions. The most commonly encountered example from this period, a simple pine gavel, has a silvered band inscribed as follows: “‘Certified by Centuries’/ Northern White Pine after 112 Years Service/ The White House Roof 1815 to 1927/ National Lumber Manufacturers Association.”

This is an excellent example, at at auction, would be estimated in the $1,000.00 range.

If you have additional questions about this item, I am happy to continue working with you. Just continue our discussion in the reply box.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you, please rate my answer. I am not paid by the site until you do. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer, and I will continue to be available if you have more questions on the item. Thank you.

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars. I always strive for 5 star service, but please rate as you feel is appropriate. However, if you are considering a low rating, please try to give me the opportunity to improve my service to you first!

If you’d like to request me for future questions, please put " for Jennifer only" in your post. I respond to requested questions first.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM