Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Have an antique cherry armoire and would like to sell

Have an antique cherry Robert...
Have an antique cherry Robert Keith armoire and would like to sell
8/20/2017
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your Robert Keith armoire.

Please go ahead and attach a photo of it at your convenience, plus some close-ups of any interesting detail.

Also, if you let me have your zip I'll see what options you may have near you for selling.

Just click on the paperclip icon and it will automatically pull up your picture files (on your computer) for you to select a photo to attach.

If you don't have a photo in your computer, simply email yourself one from a smart phone and save it in your picture files. Here's picture-attaching help if you need it:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Many thanks,

Robert.

Robert Keith

Thanks for the photos.

Does it have a "Robert Keith" label or stamp on it?

Great! That's all I need to see. Leave this with me and I'll have a full answer and a value for you as soon as I can.

Many thanks,
Robert.

This is a well-made and well designed old period piece that, going by the label and various features of the design dates to the period 1910 - 1920, certainly no newer than 1925.

The Robert Keith Furniture and Carpet Company were quite a presence in Kansas City in their day with a large, nine story, state of the art store on 11th and Grand Ave. Founded in the 1870s they became better known for their retail furnishing business rather than furniture making per se, so to the furniture collector, the "Robert Keith" label is an interesting curiosity rather that something that would generate any premium in value compared to any other maker of the same age and quality.

Interestingly, surviving examples of their furniture are far and few between. They do turn up in the auction salesrooms from time to time but this particular dresser with its cleverly designed pullout shelf drawers behind cupboard doors, doesn't show up in any of the past sales that I can find. You may have the very last one left on the planet!

As for value, I always maintain that the worth of an item is like a "three legged stool", where the legs are 'rarity', 'artistic and/or useful merit' and 'notoriety'. If one is missing the stool will not stand. In this case the missing leg would be notoriety. As I mentioned "Robert Keith" is such a little known brand it would have no specific following of collectors.

Having said that, since it is a local 'name' and one of Kansas City's more prominent historic merchants, Kansas is certainly the best possible place to sell it.

Your easiest option would be to sell at a good antique auction where I estimate it should fetch in the range of $250 - $350.

It therefore has a full retail value (if you saw it for sale in an antique store, say) of $750. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

The following three auction houses in your area come recommended:

(1) Lyn Knight Auctions

PO Box 7364
Overland Park, KS 66207

http://www.lynknight.com/

(2) Carrell Estate Auctions

1323 W. 13th St.
2nd floor
Kansas city, MO 64102

http://www.carrellestatesales.com/

(3) Antique Auctions Plus

10940 Parallel Pkwy
Kansas City, KS 66109

http://antiqueauctionsplus.com/

Selling to a local consignment store or antique dealer is also a route worth considering. Dealers usually agree to pay the low end of the auction estimates if they're interested. I would contact your nearest antiques mall and ask them to recommend a good antique furniture seller. They will know and give you contact details. This is certainly the easiest way to go, because it could be a lot faster and there are no auction commission fees.

Hope this makes sense.

Best wishes,

Robert.

Robert S.