Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

Doris, I thought I would try another question -- do you deal…

Hi Doris, I thought I...
Hi Doris, I thought I would try another question -- do you deal with antique prints at all? I could send you a pic and what I have learned about it.
8/20/2017
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hi there. I would be happy to work with you o your print.

What size is your piece (in inches) not including the frame and mat? Please do not remove from the frame.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.
If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the front and back of your framed piece.

Please send a photo of the signature.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the signature.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

OR-

Site Help With Photos:

1-***-***-****

The Help service with photos does not cost extra. This is not the same as the pop-up that asks about phone calls. The pop-up is an extra phone call service related to the appraisal, not photos.

I do not send pop-up offers.

Kind regards,
Doris

here is what I have -- I can get a pic of the back -- but really I think the value is in the print.I am selling what I believe is an original print from Rudolph Ackermann's Respository 1824 Series 3, Vol 4, August issue; Ball Dress. It is framed with a stamp on the back that appears it was framed in 'Napoli' Italy. I have not taken the back off of the frame to avoid damage to the print, but it appears to be of the original size, approximately 9 x 6 inches. It is in good condition. I am posting a pciture of the print as framed and a picture of the original print I found on the internet. Below is information regarding the Repository for your interest."The Repository of Arts, Literature, Commerce, Manufactures, Fashions and Politics" (1809-1828), known as Ackerman's Repository, was published from 1809-1829. Each issue contained sumptuous color plates depicting fashion, furniture, views, and designs all presented in a magazine replete with a variety of fascinating topics such as "the friendship of ancient chivalry". It creates the ultimate portrait of early 19th century upper-class England and was quite a trend setter in Regency England.Rudolph Ackermann (1764-1834) was one of the most important figures in the history of color plate books. His attention to detail, eye for art, and ability to coordinate the necessary authors, artists, engravers, printers, binders, and booksellers led to a huge body of work of extraordinary quality.Initially successful as a coach builder in Germany, he became fascinated by the book world whilst preparing a text on his popular coach designs. He quickly made the transition to publisher. His magazine, issued monthly for 20 years, funneled Ackermann's wide-ranging interests into its pages. The Repository of Arts, Literature, Commerce, Manufactures, Fashion and Politics contained everything from fashion plates to articles on gas lights. The illustrations continue to stand out today. By documenting changing fashions in dress, furniture and architecture, The Repository became a time capsule much sought-after by historians, film and theatrical designers, and students of the arts and costume.The prints are absolutely beguiling cameos of the age, with an appeal that is still fresh today, making them generally difficult to find and expensive due to their enduring charm and historical interest. The process used in the production of the prints was aquatint engraving, with original hand colouring. Each print measures approximately 9 inches by 6 inches on a strong creamy paper.

Hi there! Thank you for requesting me.

Rudolph Ackermann's colored engravings entitled Ball Dress have an estimated retail value of $150-180 each if they are framed.

Again,

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com/about/selling

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.
If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars!

This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be the pro that takes the question.

Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser

**********************
Thank you so much for the positive rating! If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” as the first three words of the question. I should be the one to take your question.
Thank you again.
**********************

Doris
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser