Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

8/20/2017
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hey. This a caricature drawing. You might have seen the ones done of famous people. You can often get one done of yourself in various tourist places. I'm thinking that's what this one is, which means you likely won't ever find the artist, but I'll poke around and see if I can find anything out about him/her.

~Diana

Ok very likely thank you!!
I was trying to discern the last name and I believe I came to the conclusion that it is hermenegildo sabat . Could be wrong but the style looks very similar

You would be right! You beat me to the reveal

.

The signature does look like that of Hermenegildo Sabat. He was mostly known midcentury caricature artist but he had a pretty amazing humorous style to much of his early work and was highly involved in a lot of political illustrations and commentary. He did some more traditional portrait paintings too, but even those have that loose, almost cartoon like feel.

.

This is a more traditional pencil drawing caricature. I'm not sure if it's anyone famous though.

Ok yeah I'm not sure but I think it actually is someone famous.. i'm trying to search my mind for famous people that resembles that caricature.

So were we. I had 3 people standing around this computer going "does this grouchy guy look familiar". I almost want to say it's a comedian or talk show host kind of person from the 60s/70s, but I'm drawing a blank. Most of his pieces run around the same value, but I'd still like to know the title.

Haha my boyfriend and I are doing the same thing. I thought he looked like dr. gonzo from fear and loathing in Las Vegas

That's more feasible than anything I came up with. Only Bob's I could up with that looked even remotely to that is Robert Goulet and I can't imagine why anyone would want that...so....

Hahah

=) The bad thing is....it's almost like I can see an old Saturday Night Live skit featuring somebody like this but I can't put my finger on it. It's going to drive me crazy.

Hahah oh gosh yeah I feel like I should be able to figure it out too it's bugging me!! But I appreciate your effort so much and you don't need to figure it out or anything because we really can only speculate anyways

It's going to bug and I'm sure a few weeks from now I'll be singing in my car or wake up from a dead sleep knowing exactly who it is because that's just how these things work. If I do, you'll be my first contact.

.

On the plus side his "famous" works aren't valued that differently than some of his more ordinary people. His political work tends to value the highest but that's usually tied to an event from history so you get a bit more historical context. It's a really good piece. It's a pencil drawing rather than pen and ink like some of his other work.

.

He was still working and drawing up until the early 2000s, so, if it is a character in costume and not a real person it could date to any time frame. Personally, I want to say it's more of a 70s/80s piece.

.

It's in excellent condition and extremely well framed. They even sprung for a double mat and a gallery style frame. Given the quality and the artist, even with an unknown figure, it's still going to be worth about $300 to $400.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.
Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.
.
If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

.

I look forward to working with you again.
.

Have a great weekend.

~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Haha yes thanks so much!!!

Anytime. =) But if you figure it out, you have to come back and put me out of my misery.

Haha of course ��