Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a 144 piece Bakelite Mahjong set from the early

Hi! I have a...

Hi! I have a 144 piece Bakelite Mahjong set from the early nineteen hundreds. It's in a faux alligator case with five stands. I know nothing about Mahjong so I could use some help. Thank you

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I can send a photograph if that would help.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

It belonged to my grandmother who received it when she was 18 years old. She would be 128 years old now. That's all I know.

8/18/2017
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

Hi, my name is Glenda,

This is your answer, please read before rating.

Policy: Rating for the Appraiser is for the professionalism of the Appraiser, it is not for the value of the item (Appraisers have no control over values, we do not set values. We simply report them.) It is not for any issues due to the site policy or procedures. Appraisers do not work for the site, we are independent working for ourselves, ratings allow us to continue to work on the site answering customers questions.
.
The 144 piece Bakelite Mahjong set from the early nineteen hundreds has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $650.00-725.00 if sold at an auction(a local auction ) it would sell for a little less,at around $400.00-425.00, if this were sold in a High End Antique Shop in a larger city it would sell for $725.00 and up depending on the condition. If I were selling it I would list it for $725.00
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! All sites can be sold from with pick up only option.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you need values for. Just send to "Glenda Only" I would be happy to help.
.
Glenda,
.
Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. This is the only way we get credit for our work.They should be located top left of the page. Or you may see review expert or rate expert.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser