Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I'd like an appraisal on a piece of furniture along with any…

I'd like an appraisal on...
I'd like an appraisal on a piece of furniture along with any information you can provide on the piece.
8/18/2017
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name is ***** ***** I look forward to working with you.

Please add pictures of the item(s) and any maker's marks by clicking the Add Files button.

The Add Files feature will prompt you to locate the file you'd like to attach from your computer.
You can repeat this process to attach more than one picture.
Add one, write a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

Some pictures
20799553_225959081262496...jpg2079955...jpg20840972_226307727894298...jpg2084097...jpg20842187_226209774570760...jpg2084218...jpg20915462_225965121261892...jpg2091546...jpg20841089_225962984595439...jpg2084108...jpg
Did you receive all the pictures?

This is a French Renaissance style carved buffet/sideboard

made circa 1870-1890 in the US, exact maker unknown. The No.602

on the back indicates that it was made in the US because

European furniture makers did not use the word Number or abbreviated No. inventory/numbering

as inner-factory marks.

This buffet has a current value of $3000 to $3750 retail.

Some sites that I recommend for selling on your own are

www.loveseat.com (in CA), Layerhome.com, Pamono.com, Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local),
Chairish.com, Ioffer.com, Furnishly.com, Deconet.com, Lushpad, Krrb.com, and letgo.com (local).
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.
They do all of the work and you get a check 14 to 45 days after the sale minus their 15% to 25% (negotiable!) commission.
***Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. Bonuses are also welcome! ***

Ok...could the maker be Lyons?
This was purchased at an estate sale in West Virginia for $150 believe it or not

What a great buy!

The maker would not be Lyons.

Please do click the stars now for this one, it is very important for me
to get good feedback for answering.

Ok..is there a way or any other indicator to find out who made this?...

No, I'm afraid that with furniture from this period there were

so many makers creating similar styles that there is no reference

or database to know exactly who made the piece. Large pieces rarely travel

far, so it is likely the piece was made within the few states around West Virginia,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania being one of the cities that had many furniture factories in the late 1800's.

Ok..thanks for your input on this!

You are so welcome!

Do click the stars for me to finish, thanks!

Rarewares
Rarewares
Rarewares