Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have a teaset I inherited from an older neighbor lady many

Customer Question

I have a teaset I inherited from an older neighbor lady many years ago on the bottom it states Paul's Italy 4023 does this have any value
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: It is an tea pot creamer and sugar 6 smalll cups it is pottery green and blue and browns with yellow accent
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as a dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-up offers. Although I am USPAP-trained, the assessments given here do not meet USPAP requirements.
Thoughtful responses take time. My responses are not instantaneous.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the tea pot showing the pattern.

Please send a photo of the marks and/or words on the bottom.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

OR -

Site Help With Photos:

1-***-***-****

The Help service with photos does not cost extra. This is not the same as the pop-up that asks about phone calls. The pop-up is an extra phone call service related to the appraisal, not photos.

I do not send pop-up offers.

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There are 6 plates and cups I only took out two for picture they are in good shape no chips 0r scratches
Expert:  Doris replied 1 month ago.

"Paul's was a an American Import Company located in New Jersey. The company was created in 1898 by Edward Paul. In the 1930's the company was purchased by the Arditti family who kept the original name of the company. A few years ago I interviewed Arthur Arditti, now in his 80's and discovered that the company began importing Italian ceramics in the late 1950's through the 1970's. Arthur, himself, made buyer's trip to various Italian towns and cities, particularly in the south. Contract documents show that Arditi insisted that the only the name "Paul's" appeared on the ceramics. It was a way of ensuring that competitors would not discover the firm's sources of supply. Paul's stopped importing Italian pottery in the late 1970's."

Source: Walter Del Pellegrino

Your 1950s-1970s "Paul's" teaset has an extimated retail value of $225-275.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com/about/selling

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.

Expert:  Doris replied 1 month ago.

************************************
Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris

************************************

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It sure did I will keep it the teaset as this person was special to me, although not used or displayed so I will take another year to decide what to do with it. If it had no value I would have gotten rid of it. Thank you
Expert:  Doris replied 1 month ago.

You are welcome.

******************************************

Please do not forget my need for A POSITIVE RATING.It is the ONLY WAY I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge,time and work.
Kind regards,

Doris