Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Is your answer of $40 to $45 mean per piece or full place…

Customer Question
Is your answer of $40...
Is your answer of $40 to $45 mean per piece or full place setting. Mine has Wm Roger with an eagle before Wm and star after Roger. I can't find patter on internet and I have no history except it came in as part of estate, looks very clean with no tarnish and deceased was 106 years old
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
8/7/2017
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 1 year ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-up offers. Although I am USPAP-trained, the assessments given here do not meet USPAP requirements.

Thoughtful responses take time. My responses are not instantaneous.

I am not sure what you are referring to. Where did you see $40-45?

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was referring to a prior answer. I have a full 8 place setting Wm Rogers star and eagle set with serving pieces. It has additional 8 teaspoons and 8 forks. It also has soup spoons. Scarcely any tarnish. It has manufacture warranty against defects and and certificate it is authentic. I cannot find its picture on Wm Rogers web site but don't have time to study it closely. I can send pictures. It was inheritance from 100 year old woman that was positive due to date made it was more valuable than some Wm Rogers sterling pieces but I would guess that was sentimental attachment. There is no date I can find showing when made. How do I send you a picture? I forgot there are additional eight knives.

Three pictures came through at this end but unfortunately they do not help me value your set.

I need One photo of One fork showing the pattern on the whole fork.

Then I need One photo of the marks on the back of One piece.

You may need to use the macro (flower) function of your camera to get clear close up pictures

Thank you,

Doris

Excellent pictures. Thank you.

Let me study the photos.

I'll be back as soon as I find the pattern.

Kind regards,

Doris

I have found the pattern but I need more information about your set.

"Complete Sets" come in many different sizes.

Please tell me the following -

Your set serves 8 people.

How many pieces does each person have?

What serving pieces are there? These can add as much as 30% to the value of a set.

!!!!!Please do not send photos of the whole set. I cannot tell what pieces are in a set via such a photo!!!!

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am not good at names of serving pieces so bear with me. There is are 2 sugar spoons, two butter knives, a gravy ladle, 2 large serving spoons, A large two prong fork I assume for cutting meat etc., one flat serving piece I would guess for serving cakes or pies, it is triangular in shape with rounded front and cut out decorations, eight deep spoons I assume for soup, eight table spoons, eight small forks, 24 teaspoons, 8 forks middle sized, 8 large dinner forks, 17 knives. I hope that helped. Ken

Thank you, Ken.

The plated silver pattern is "Treasure" first produced in 1940. The Eagle, Star Wm Rogers Co had become part of the International Silver Co before then but their prestigious name continued to be used.

Your set, as described, has an estimated retail value of $600-700.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com/about/selling

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Does the few pieces of silverware that is starting to show tarnish need it removed? Secondly can you send me proper name for the pieces I have? You should see all of the pieces in original photo of set. If not I can take closer pictures. If it does need tarnish taken off what product should use. Ken

As I previously mentioned, it is very difficult to discern what pieces are in a set via small photos of a whole set.

I will do my best.

Green box:

pie server

2 prong meat carving fork

tablespoon

teaspoon

salad fork

teaspoon

dinner fork

teaspoon

dessert spoon

serving spoon

Red box:

round soup spoon

teaspoon

gravy ladle

salad/dessert fork

By all means polish your silver but with care.

I use Wright's Polish paste that comes in a jar. It is sold at most hardware stores and groceries. I recently bought some on Amazon.com.

Wash a few pieces by hand only ...no dishwasher.

With the sponge included with the polish, apply a small amount to each piece.

With a soft cloth, rub the tarnish off gently.

Then wash with a non-lemon dish detergent and dry with a soft cloth.

I hope this helps.

******************************************

Please do not forget my need for A POSITIVE RATING.It is the ONLY WAY I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge,time and work.
Kind regards,

Doris

************************************
Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris

************************************