Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Doris only Please give me the value on these two pieces of…

Customer Question
Doris only Please give me...
Doris only Please give me the value on these two pieces of art work.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Antiques
20170806_124315.jpg2017080...jpg20170806_124329.jpg2017080...jpg20170806_124148.jpg2017080...jpg20170806_124201.jpg2017080...jpg
If Doris is not available please pass this on
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/6/2017
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 11 months ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hi Sheila. Thank you for requesting me and for your patience.

I had to be away from my computer for a while this morning.

Let me study your pictures.

Have you given sizes in inches?

Kind regards,

Doris

Sheila,

I studied the 4 images you sent. I need a little more information.

What sizes are these in inches not including the frames or mats?

Do these have any information on the backs? If so tell me what it says or send images of the backs.

Have you taken a magnifying glass close to the these to see if there are any tiny white spots in the color?

I look forward to responses to this additional information requests.

Kind regards,

Doris

If there were tine white spots in the color, they would be prints.

The first painting is by known/listed artist by the name of Robert L. Jefferson.

Robert L Jefferson (1929-2014)

"He became known for painting watercolor scenes of the Philadelphia area. In 1969 he married Lydia Booker and in 1972 they had a son, Robert Jr. Jefferson also began his career as an illustrator with his work displayed in newspapers, magazines, and his favorite medium, children’s books. In fact, he spent a great deal of time collaborating with authors, because he was very passionate about helping them bring to life the image their words evoked. Jefferson was prominent in the Philadelphia art scene, being instrumental in many local events, festivals, and exhibitions; including the annual Clothesline Exhibit in Rittenhouse Square."

Source: Philadelphia Tribune

The piece by Jefferson has an estimated retail value of $600-700.

The other artist Lawrence Ber??? is unlisted/ unknown. I went through all the listed artist whose last names started with Ber... searching for the first starting with "L" like Lawrence. Unfortunately, there were none. As a painting by an unlisred artist, it has a retail value of $200-275..

I wish I had better news.

In general, a private seller to a dealer or via consignment can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

If you wish to sell, these are my suggestions -

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to estimated retail try the following -

Try ads on sites such as

https://www.artbrokerage.com/help/selling-art

http://www.rubylane.com/art

http://www.askart.com/Ads_Individual.aspx

https://www.artnet.com/auctions/all-artworks/?utm_campaign=bannerad&utm_source=080514auctionsevergreen&utm_medium=link

http://www.artvalue.com

http://www.artprice.com/marketplace/sell-an-artwork

Some like Etsy.com where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small - 20 cents to list an item plus 3.5% of the final price.

Or list with no fees whatsoever:

http://forum.findartinfo.com/default.asp?CAT_

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.
If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars!

This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be the pro that takes the question.