Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I found an old orginal print of the Toronto Stock Exchange,

Customer Question
I found an old...

I found an old orginal print of the Toronto Stock Exchange, 24/200... I will have to find a microscope to read the author and other data.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Its from the time of first incorporation - AD1854. the authors signature I think reads 'Gaprian? .. black and white (but yellowish for effect)

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

Building is centered with horse and carriages in front, and a borader of spirals like on a money note, ships are placed quarterly around the edges. I received it back in the late 1980's when I worked in the Investment industry.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Antiques
8/6/2017
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 6 months ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-up offers. Although I am USPAP-trained, the assessments given here do not meet USPAP requirements.
Thoughtful responses take time. My responses are not instantaneous.

What size is your piece (in inches) not including the frame? Please do not remove from the frame.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.
If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the front and back of your framed piece.

Please send a photo of the signature.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the signature.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

OR-

Site Help With Photos:

1-***-***-****

The Help service with photos does not cost extra. This is not the same as the pop-up that asks about phone calls. The pop-up is an extra phone call service related to the appraisal, not photos.

I do not send pop-up offers.

Kind regards,
Doris

awesome. I will do that tomorrow. I need to get the kids to bed. What all is included in the fee I paid by Visa?
I will send photo's tomorrow and happy to wait till you are working on Tuesday as Monday is a holiday.
Thank you.
It is not framed. I lightly stuck it on a cardboard sheet to keep it unwrinkled.
Paper is 30 cm x 40 cm
print is 22cm x 30 cmits lovely.

I will work part of tomorrow.

Photos are included. An assessment of the one item - the Toronto Print - is included. I always include possible selling venues. Phone calls and Premium Services are additional charges but I do not participate in the Premium Services program.

Also, site help for pictures is included in the fee you have paid.

'Til tomorrow.

Good morning.I have been trying to upload my photo's to you. I am still working on it but also sent them by email. hope you can receive them that way... I have a new computer, no SD card slot and not very up to date on my skill...
I really appreciate your time and patience...
thank you for this. I finally uploaded my photo's, I will forward them now..
can I use this email address to reach you?

This is the official explanation of how to send photos via email:

Please follow the directions exactly or they will not get to me.

Send the picture to ***@******.*** with the following EXACT information.

In the subject line put " Pictures for˜Doris in Antiques or Appraisals."
.
In the body of the message put, your site user name and real name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same email address that you registered with

Just Answer, so they can verify who you are.

This method takes longer because the photos are sent to the Just Answer techs who must forward them to me. It sometimes takes as long as 24 hours or more.
.
They will forward them to me and as soon as I get them I will contact you.

Kind regards,

Doris

One picture of the front of the print came through at this end. Is there anything on the back?

my computer skills are not up to date, sorry. I will try send these photo's this way and keep trying to get them from my phone, to my computer to you...
what ever happened to a SD and instant transfer? hope you are well and enjoying the summer!

I am enjoying the summer, thank you.

I do not need a picture of the back if you can tell me what the writing on the back says, if there is any.

The pictures came through quickly. Thank you.

Unfortunately, I cannot read the tiny print.

Can you tell me what the fine print says?

nothing on the back...
the small print on the front reads:
left: very tiny (we are looking for a stronger magnifying glass)
right: J. Grant architect
middle is the address of the Toronto Stock Exchange on King Street, Toronto... I can't quite make out the first part,
might be floor number then street number.
If I can make it out tomorrow I will let you know.
Thanks!

One more thing...

What is the size of the print (not including the white margin) in inches?

Kind regards,

Doris

12 inches by 8.5 inches

I spent hours looking for this limited edition print and the artist. I must failure on both.

I must apologize.

I am going to release your question (opt-out) so that if another professional knows the answer, he/she can help you.
There is no extra charge if another professional responds to your question.
I will not be able to respond to your questions once I opt-out.
I hope you find the answer to your question.
Kind regards,
Doris

thank you. I hope that I find something out that is useful.
Enjoy the rest of summer and the warmth of the high sun.
blessings,
Suki
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 6 months ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

If you could please add a clear, in-focus close up of the small print on the left, I may be able to decipher that for you.

~Nora

I think its in latin...
Hi. We are out of town, but will try zoom in on the print with a professional camera.
Have you found any information on it at all?

You can send additional images at any time.

At this time, I have not yet found a match to your print image.

~Nora

Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur