Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have a Lane Legacy Love Cedar Chest, Style: 470101 and

Customer Question

Hello Pearl! I have a Lane Legacy Love Cedar Chest
JA: The Expert will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Expert can help you best.
Customer: Style : 470101 and Serial No is(###) ###-#### I just found after reading blogs that the first digit is plant location, so its May 15, 1987
JA: Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?
Customer: It has a key unopened inside, and states that it is manufactured in AltaVista, VA. Could an expert tell me the asking price of this cedar chest?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-up offers. Although I am USPAP-trained, the assessments given here do not meet USPAP requirements.

Thoughtful responses take time. My responses are not instantaneous.

A Lane Legacy Love Cedar Chest dated 1097 sold for $80 in an eBay auction in 2014.

An estimated current retail value is $190-250.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com/about/selling

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Doris,
Thanks for your reply. I did research about the pricing online. But I wanted to know the estimated price of an excellent condition Cedar chest. The serial number is ***** read backwards- it's 7 digits, so first digit is plant location and the actual manufacture date is May 15, 1978. I'm confused when you say dated 1097- so does it mean Oct 1997, so if a retail price for that is 250$ max, can you tell me what an older one dated 1978 would cost? Thanks, Jai
Expert:  Doris replied 2 months ago.

I mis-typed, The date of the one I found on eBay was 1987, the same as the one date you first described.

An older cedar chest in excellent condition would have a slightly higher estimated retail value range would be $250-350.

I hope this helps you.

*********************
I am only credited by JA for my work on this question if you rate my answer positively, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

*********************

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Doris, Could you tell me if the attached "Antique Carved and Painted Hardwood Drop-Front Writing Desk with dimensions 48.0ʺW × 15.0ʺD × 60.0ʺH would cost 1000$, it does not have designer name on it or serial no. I was also not able to distinguish if it's Japanese or Chinese art. Thanks, Jai
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I found a similar desk for $2500. That's how I determined $1000. This is my description for selling this desk."Love this ornate desk. Purchased it from a banker who used it. It has a hinged panel that drops down for ease of use as a writing surface. It has shelves and drawers for organizing documents, and storing writing implements and paper. When the panel is up, it conceals a network of small shelves. These small shelves has ample space and is a removable organizer for all of your bills, letters, and postage supplies. The front and sides are covered in ornate hand carved Japanese patterns that add depth and personality. The legs feature an exotic creature face. Centered and directed below the drop front are two small drawers and two big drawers that provide extra storage. This elaborate hand carved desk is sure to make your life more organized"
Expert:  Doris replied 2 months ago.

I am very sorry but it is against Just Answer site policy to stack questions.

You will need to go back to the login and enter another piece as a separate new question.

I would be delighted to help you there.

Just type "For Doris Only" as the first three words of your new question. Most of the pros on the site will respect that request.

Again, I would be glad to help but enter the piece in new question.

Positive please on this one here. Use the 5 stars.

Kind regards,

Doris