Erin-Marie Wallace
Erin-Marie Wallace, CEO of Rare-Era.com Appraisals & Auctions
Experience:  Sotheby's Institute, UK Trained Appraiser & Auctioneer
98724554

I just picked up a i just picked up what looks like an

Customer Question

I just picked up a i just picked up what looks like an antique dress form and am trying to find out more about it.
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I don't know anything about it
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: It's seems to be made of layers of card boRd and has wooden end pieces where arms would be
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It appears to be made of paper/cardboard with a steel base.....
Expert:  Erin-Marie Wallace replied 2 months ago.

Greetings, my name is ***** ***** I am a federally certified appraiser and licensed auctioneer with a Master’s degree from Sotheby’s, UK. I can assist you with a little more information about this super cool dress form (aka mannequin) you have acquired.

It's actually made of paper-mache, without maker's hallmarks it's difficult to say just where it was made and by whom but many came from France. Yours does appear to be for a gentleman and I'd date this to c.1900-1920. These are occasionally seen on the market but because they are made from paper-mache the conditions vary widely and do have an effect on value. This one is currently being offered with a retail price of $275USD and here is another example with some damage which is being offered for $210 with a wooden stand. I place yours between these two and value him at $250USD Retail. If you find a maker's mark, please let me know as that can add to the value of the piece.

I hope this impartial evaluation will be of assistance to you. If I can answer any additional questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

Please keep in mind, I only receive compensation for my answer once you have rated me positively, your 5-star rating at the conclusion of our correspondence is most appreciated.

If you have another item you'd like to ask me about, just start a new Question and put "For Erin-Marie..." in the subject line and I will be happy to assist you.

Most Sincerely,

Erin-Marie