Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have an antique goose neck Duncan Phyfe Sofa Bed, I think…

Customer Question
I have an antique...

I have an antique goose neck Duncan Phyfe Sofa Bed, I think from the late 20s or 30s. I would like to get a correct appraisal. Took it to a antique dealer in Ft Myers FL and they said unless it was from the early 1800s when Duncan Phyfe started, it was only worth a couple hundred dollars. I have been told by furniture upholstery people that it was worth much more. Who is right?

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

No, I just know it has been in the family for 80 years.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Antiques
8/5/2017
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 11 months ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name is ***** ***** I look forward to working with you.

Please add pictures of the item(s) and any maker's marks by clicking the Add Files button.

The Add Files feature will prompt you to locate the file you'd like to attach from your computer.
You can repeat this process to attach more than one picture.
Add one, write a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

I don't have more.
I don't want to call, I just want what I get for $5.00. If this all I get, then I am not satisfied and you can refund my money.
Guess this is just another rip off.

This sofa is a Duncan Phyfe style

gooseneck arm sofa made in the 1940's to 1950's era

when this manner of piping and tufting was popular in upholstery.

Most furniture companies in the US made this style, so the exact maker would be impossible to know.

This sofa has a current value of $100 to $175 retail.

Some sites that I recommend for selling on your own are https://marketplace.apartmenttherapy.com/, www.loveseat.com (in CA), Layerhome.com, Pamono.com, Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local),
Chairish.com, Ioffer.com, Furnishly.com, Deconet.com, Lushpad, Krrb.com, and letgo.com (local).
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.
They do all of the work and you get a check 14 to 45 days after the sale minus their 15% to 25% (negotiable!) commission.
***Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. Bonuses are also welcome! ***

Thanks for your response, but I don't agree.

I understand. I am sorry that you do not agree.

This is my assessment based on the one photo and you

wanting to know if your upholsterer or an antique dealer was correct and my answer would be that the

antique dealer was correct. It was worth a few hundred dollars, and less now that the market

for antique furniture has softened (past 5 years of decline in this market). I do hope that explains it better for you.

Please click the stars in the upper right for me otherwise
I do not get points for having answered your question. Thanks!

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.