Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a set of 6 dinner plates, 6 cup and saucers, 6 bread…

Customer Question
I have a set...

I have a set of 6 dinner plates, 6 cup and saucers, 6 bread and butter plates, and 6 fruit/dessert/sauce bowls from the Fine Porcelain China of Japan- Diane pattern. How much are they worth?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

One of the bowls has a chip but the rest are in great shape

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

Nothing

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Antiques
8/5/2017
Antique Expert: Diana F., Antiques Appraiser replied 11 months ago
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

Fine China of Japan was fairly popular in the 60s/70s. They actually created and sold a number of patterns for many of the larger department stores of the time. Your set is discontinued, which means that some of the pieces can be harder to find.

.

Thank you for the list. That is exactly what I need. I can actually give you prices both individually and as a set so you'll know the value of each piece and as a set. Here is a breakdown value for your pieces:

.

6 Dinner plates - $10 to $15 each

6 cup/saucer sets - $10 to $15 each

6 bread/butter plates - $8 to $12each

6 dessert bowls- $5 to $10 each

.

As a whole set, it should have a value around $200 to $300 . It will have an insurance value of $400

.

That should do it, but if I missed anything, please let me know.
.
The reason I broke it down is because sometimes you can get a higher value by breaking the set up or by piecing it out. It does take longer, but you get the higher values and it helps to know what each piece is worth.

.

Deciding on which way to sell it really depends on how fast you need to sell it. If you'd like to sell it fast, I'd recommend selling it as one lot and in the lower price range.
.

The only downside to selling china right now is that there are a number of people trying to currently get rid of their china so there is quite a bit on the market. It make take a few selling tries, but there are collector's out there.
.
I can give you a few ideas for selling if you're interested. For selling, Etsy and Amazon's marketplace are great alternatives to Ebay. There is also Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic. They're more like online antique shops. They do cost a bit more to list there, but they get higher prices. Etsy is a good alternative if you want some place with lower listing fees. They have the lowest rates around right now.
.
Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. Ebay, like with any auction, you can expect about 1/2 of the actual value. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself in a private sale as opposed to an auction or selling it to a dealer. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
.

There is also craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). The only downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places.

.
If I can be of any further help or if you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to contact me. I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.
Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you. If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
.

I look forward to working with you again.
.

Have a great weekend!
.
~Diana

Hi. I was just touching base to see if you need anything else? I noticed you viewed my answer, but have not rated it. I was wondering if you had any more questions?

.

I also wanted to know if you were having trouble rating my answer? Rating me does not cost you anything. It just ensures I get credit for my work.

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open.

.

.

If you think you have already rated me, please reply and let me know. If you're having trouble rating my answer, please let me know.

.

Best Wishes,
Diana