Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I found a vintage piano/organ lamp at a flea market. I can't…

Customer Question
I found a vintage...

I found a vintage piano/organ lamp at a flea market. I can't seem to be able to date it or to find out who made it. It was the numbers 786 stamped into the bass.

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

It has been converted to electricity, but looks easy enough to convert back to kerosene. I has a large round handpainted shade with a glass chimney that is frosted about half way up. It also has glass prisms hanging from the frame the shade sits in

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

It is adjustable to over 5 feet tall.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Antiques
8/3/2017
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 11 months ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name isCustomerand I look forward to working with you.

Please add pictures of the item(s) and any maker's marks by clicking the Add Files button.

The Add Files feature will prompt you to locate the file you'd like to attach from your computer.
You can repeat this process to attach more than one picture.
Add one, write a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

This is a circa 1890 to 1905 brass and onyx shelf piano lamp

with brass banded hand-painted shade. The value of this piece

is $300 to $400 retail.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local) , Wanelo.com, Bonanza.com, Ioffer.com, Etsy.com,
Ebay and letgo.com (local).

You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.

Please do click the stars now for this one, it is very important for me
to get good feedback for answering.

How can I tell who made it?
Thete are numbers 786 stamped in the bottom of the base. I have looked all over the internet and have not seen any height adjustable floor models with this type shade. It also has paw feet. I feel like that estimate is on the low side.

So many companies made these including Bradley and Hubbard, Hollings of Boston,

and some English companies, that unless the maker is printed on the bottom or knobs, it would be impossible to know the exact maker. For example, this one in the photo is made in England circa 1880.

The prices for this style of floor lamp reached their peak in around 2013 and have been in decline since then.

While this lamp would have easily sold for $800 in 2013, the price now is about half of that.

I hope that explains it better for you.

Where would I find a makers mark? I only found the numbers 786 stamped in the bottom? Would it hurt the value to convert it back to kerosene? What are the numbers? The burner knob says Made US of America

There probably is not a maker's mark on yours. It was not common back then.

It will not hurt the value to convert it back to kerosene.

The number 786 does not reveal who the maker would be, this is a shape./ model number.

The burner knob is a replacement knob from when it was converted to electric, so that does not give clues to maker other than that this is not one of the English lamps.

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.