Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019
71377891

I have an August Moreau bronze sculpture of a lady standing

Customer Question

I have an August Moreau bronze sculpture of a lady standing in front of some flowers or a bush I like to know if it has any value ?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I had it in my possession for many years and it has a signature at the base of the statue of August Moreau, it stands 30 inches high, and it is very heavy bronze
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: No
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 2 months ago.

Please send images at your convenience.

~Nora

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Here are photos you requested
Expert:  Nora replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for the images, please allow me some time to look these over for you
Expert:  Nora replied 2 months ago.

At your convenience, please add a clear, in-focus close-up of her face and also check for a foundry stamp, which would usually be around teh base of the figural.

~Nora

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Here is the photo of the face you requested as far as the base of the statue all that is there is the August Moreau signature
Expert:  Nora replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for the additional images. ~Nora

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Here is also a photo of the back of the statue
Expert:  Nora replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your patience.

This is a 3rd quarter to late 20th century reproduction of a circa 1900 Auguste Moreau figure. These are commonly done with Moreau figurals.

On today's market, the realistic value of this is $300 - $400.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm sorry I cannot give a rating right now because I'm going for another opinion I don't know how you could determine that is a reproduction without seeing the actual statue in person.
Expert:  Nora replied 2 months ago.

It is the quality of the rendering of the face on your figure that makes this a reproduction. On original Moreau works the faces are very defined and very different from how yours is rendered.

~Nora

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
As I said once before I haven't rated it yet only because I'm getting other opinions thank you
Expert:  Nora replied 2 months ago.

You are welcome. ~Nora