Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have an August Moreau bronze sculpture of a lady standing…

Customer Question
I have an August...

I have an August Moreau bronze sculpture of a lady standing in front of some flowers or a bush I like to know if it has any value ?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I had it in my possession for many years and it has a signature at the base of the statue of August Moreau, it stands 30 inches high, and it is very heavy bronze

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Antiques
8/3/2017
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 11 months ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Please send images at your convenience.

~Nora

Thank you for the images, please allow me some time to look these over for you

At your convenience, please add a clear, in-focus close-up of her face and also check for a foundry stamp, which would usually be around teh base of the figural.

~Nora

Thank you for the additional images. ~Nora

Thank you for your patience.

This is a 3rd quarter to late 20th century reproduction of a circa 1900 Auguste Moreau figure. These are commonly done with Moreau figurals.

On today's market, the realistic value of this is $300 - $400.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

I'm sorry I cannot give a rating right now because I'm going for another opinion I don't know how you could determine that is a reproduction without seeing the actual statue in person.

It is the quality of the rendering of the face on your figure that makes this a reproduction. On original Moreau works the faces are very defined and very different from how yours is rendered.

~Nora

As I said once before I haven't rated it yet only because I'm getting other opinions thank you

You are welcome. ~Nora