Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I wanted to know if you could tell me the value of my

Customer Question
Hi! I wanted to know...
Hi! I wanted to know if you could tell me the value of my Wedgwood biscuit jar? I believe it may be a quite early piece. It has some tarnishing or loss of silver and a small crack that is only visible on the inside.
Hopefully these pictures help.
http://imgur.com/TRYyamY
http://imgur.com/jlii6Sh
http://imgur.com/bgPwQk1
http://imgur.com/hD9uJ2T
http://imgur.com/jedYBRy
http://imgur.com/L82vWgY
http://imgur.com/T1q0uhk
http://imgur.com/rseEHmR
Thank you!
Denise
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Antiques
8/2/2017
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 11 months ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as a dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-up offers. Although I am USPAP-trained, the assessments given here do not meet USPAP requirements.
Thoughtful responses take time. My responses are not instantaneous.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the item.

Please send a photo of the marks and/or words on the bottom.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

OR -

Site Help With Photos:

1-***-***-****

The Help service with photos does not cost extra. This is not the same as the pop-up that asks about phone calls. The pop-up is an extra phone call service related to the appraisal, not photos.

I do not send pop-up offers.

Kind regards,

Doris

I added photos in the text of my question as well as through the add files feature. There are 9 pictures
IMG_0762.JPGIMG_0762.JPGIMG_0763.JPGIMG_0763.JPGIMG_0764.JPGIMG_0764.JPGIMG_0765.JPGIMG_0765.JPGIMG_0766.JPGIMG_0766.JPGIMG_0767.JPGIMG_0767.JPGIMG_0768.JPGIMG_0768.JPGIMG_0770.JPGIMG_0770.JPGIMG_0771.JPGIMG_0771.JPG

Thank you for resending the pictures. The ones with your original question were not accessible.

I have 4 Wedgwood biscuit jars in my collection. I really like the look.

As for the silver mark here, please tell me if the letters in the shield are EPNS?

Kind regards,

Doris

It looks like they are possibly EPNS. Te other mark reads A1

The EPNS stands for ElectroPlated Nickel Silver or what we call plated silver. The A1 is basically an advertising tool for good quality plating.

Your 1870s-80s Wedgwood biscuit jar has an estimated retail value of $125-150 with small crack taken into consideration.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com/about/selling

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.

************************************
Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris

************************************