Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

8/2/2017
Antique Expert: Diana F., Antiques Appraiser replied 3 months ago
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi again.
What a cool piece. That's a Berkey and Gay pedestal accent table. They were often used for lamps or in some cases old radios. A lot of people these days stick them under a window and use them for plants. Berkey and Gay were known for their reproduction styled pieces and this is no exception.

.

For the most part it looks like a federal style. It has reeded legs with a central pedestal that has small carved acanthus leaves. It also has a single drawer with a sort of button style pull. The wood looks to be mahogany.

.

It has the old Berkey and Gay brass label. They used that brass label from about the 1920s until they went out of business in the 40s.

.

It looks to be in fantastic condition. Given the age and style, it should have a value of about $400 to $600 at an auction house and about $600 to $750 in a private sale.

.

The price really depends on how quick you want to make a sale and where you want to try and sell it. If you can get a collector, they will pay almost full value for it, but that means waiting on a sale. Shipping can be quite expensive because of the weight and I know a lot of buyers aren't necessarily willing to pay full value of something and then pay a ton for shipping too. So, in many cases you would have to factor shipping cost into what you might be able to sell it for.

.

There is always craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). The only downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places

.

I would try an auction as a last resort for something like this because they are really dependent upon who is the audience. Large items tend to go either way. If you do check with an auction house, ask about setting a reserve price. That way you'll have some control over the final price.
.

If you consider Ebay, consider a reserve and check into alternate shipping options, like freight, greyhound, uship, cratesandfreighters, etc. or you can list it as a pickup only. If you consider doing a pickup only, you can also list it with places like Rubylane, Tias or even Cyberattic or Etsy.
.
That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.
.
I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.
Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.
If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.

I look forward to working with you again.
.

Have a great night.
.
~Diana

Hi. I was just touching base to see if you need anything else? I noticed the answer has not been rated. I was wondering if you had any more questions?

.

I also wanted to know if you were having trouble rating my answer? Rating me does not cost you anything. It just ensures I get credit for my work.

.

If you think you have already rated me, please reply and let me know. If you're having trouble rating my answer, please let me know.

.

.

Best Wishes,
Diana

Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser