Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I'd like to know how much my kincaide garden of prayer

Customer Question
Hi! I'd like to...

Hi! I'd like to know how much my Thomas kincaide garden of prayer painting is worth? I purchased it in 1998-its not a print

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Cancas-rv-highlights -1 numberings-JD i do have certificate somewhere

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

Thats all i have for now

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Antiques
7/31/2017
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 6 months ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-up offers. Although I am USPAP-trained, the assessments given here do not meet USPAP requirements.
Thoughtful responses take time. My responses are not instantaneous.

What size is your piece (in inches) not including the frame? Please do not remove from the frame.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.
If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the front and back of your framed piece.

Please send a photo of the signature.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the signature.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

OR-

Site Help With Photos:

1-***-***-****

The Help service with photos does not cost extra. This is not the same as the pop-up that asks about phone calls. The pop-up is an extra phone call service related to the appraisal, not photos.

I do not send pop-up offers.

Kind regards,
Doris

Please see attached photos. Thank you for your help!
20170731_185035.jpg2017073...jpg20170731_185022.jpg2017073...jpg20170731_185001.jpg2017073...jpg20170731_184845.jpg2017073...jpg20170731_184807.jpg2017073...jpg
Sorry, disregard the call...I checked off by accident. Thank you for your help.

********************
I do not normally participate in the extra charge phone call services. I give my best answers in thoughtful writing.

Besides, you will have an assessment to print out. I did not send the pop-up ad/offer.

********************

What is the size in inches?

Thank you......44" length and height is 331/2"

You may already know this; but just in case you do not, I will include it here:

Thomas Kinkade (1958-2012)
"Best known for his use of light in his paintings, Thomas Kinkade grew up in Northern California in the small town of Placerville, and has been a published artist since the late 1980s.

During college, he spent a summer sketching with a friend, and they created the book The Artist's Guide to Sketching, which opened the door for them to paint background art for the animated film "Fire and Ice", in which Kinkade explored the use and effects of light. Following the completion of this film, he made his living as a painter, selling his work in galleries in California.

After marrying in 1982, Kinkade and his wife began to publish his art commercially. He demonstrates an admiration for the tradition of 19th- century American luminists and attempts to create romantic worlds and uplifting moods covering a wide variety of subjects, from quaint cottages to rustic outdoor scenes, to bustling cityscapes.

His is a warm palette, utilizing soft edges in his painting technique, and an effort to create a glowing atmosphere. He is a devout Christian whose intent is to communicate values of family, home, and faith in God through his art.

Thomas Kinkade has been inducted into the Bradford International Hall of Fame for plate artists, along with his idol, Norman Rockwell. In 1995 he received the Lithograph of the Year Award and 1995 Graphic Artist of the Year from the National Association of Limited Edition Dealers.

His work has been the subject of several books, among them Thomas Kinkade: Painter of Light (Lightpost Publishing, 1993), and Thomas Kinkade: Paintings of Radiant Light (Abbeville Press, 1995)."

Source:
Stephen M. Doherty, "Thomas Kinkade Shares the Light", American Artist, October 2001
Added note:
Thomas Kinkade died on April 5, 2012 at his home in Los Gatos, California.

"Perhaps in a garden we are closer to our creator. We certainly are closer to His creation. My prayer is that this painted garden will be a meeting place for many that would speak to their God in the silence of morning."

-Thomas Kinkade

This is a lithograph print on canvas after a painting by Kincade. According to the information on the back, it is a lithograph hand highlighted by artisans under the supervision of Thomas Kincade. The "signature" is not that of Kincade. It is not numbered so it is not a limited edition print but it is large.

These sell for about $200-300 at auction.

As for retail value, I have seen art sell for 4 to 10 times auction values depending on the tastes of the art gallery owner as well as location of the gallery.

In general, a private seller to a dealer or via consignment can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

If you wish to sell, these are my suggestions -

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to estimated retail try the following -

Try ads on sites such as

https://www.artbrokerage.com/help/selling-art

http://www.rubylane.com/art

http://www.askart.com/Ads_Individual.aspx

https://www.artnet.com/auctions/all-artworks/?utm_campaign=bannerad&utm_source=080514auctionsevergreen&utm_medium=link

http://www.artvalue.com

http://www.artprice.com/marketplace/sell-an-artwork

Some like Etsy.com where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small - 20 cents to list an item plus 3.5% of the final price.

Or list with no fees whatsoever:

http://forum.findartinfo.com/default.asp?CAT_

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.
If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars!

This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be the pro that takes the question.

Doris
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser