Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have the brothers 100 years of aviation celebration

Customer Question
I have the wright...

I have the wright brothers 100 years of aviation celebration 1903-2003, limited edition pocket knife, in its ordinal tin can, with a serial # 1782. What is its value

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

It is stamped UNITED UC1356. Design was by United cutlery

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

On the bottom of the tin can, it gives a history of the Wright brothers and also stipulates that the collection of knives commemorates the wright brothers centennial and it features includes laser etched 420 stainless steel blades and high quality handle materials. Can email a picture if needed.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Antiques
7/31/2017
Antique Expert: Diana F., Antiques Appraiser replied 6 months ago
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

It sounds like you have everything that came with this little commemorative piece. These were sold by United for a short time during 2003. They came with the tin housing, the knife, and coin for the state of North Carolina.

.

It's still a relatively new collectible, but, they're still worth about $60 to $85 in good condition. If you're not in any rush to sell it, I'd hang on to it for a bit. These kinds of little novelty items generally go up as less become available.

.

The prices will vary a bit depending on the exact condition and where you try to sell it. For the highest value, a private sale will be your best bet. You want to reach the largest audience as possible. Etsy is a great alternative to Ebay. Rubylane, Tias, and GoAntiques are great online stores, but they generally have a store "setup" fee. It may be a bit too pricey, but they do get the "higher" paying customers. Etsy actually has some of the lowest rates currently. I would consider possibly selling with them to start with.

.

You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself as opposed to an auction or selling it to a dealer. As far as Ebay goes, Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values are very unpredictable and often tend to be lower. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
.

There is also craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). The only downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places.

.

That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.
.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great day.
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser