Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a piece of jewelry of my Mother's that she was given…

Customer Question
I have a piece...

I have a piece of jewelry of my Mother's that she was given around 1937, 1938 she was taking care of an elderly woman who wore the jewelry at her wedding it is silver colored but not sterling silver because it is not tarnished after years in a jewelry box it is a fine chain with two clips that attached to slip/bra straps with an oval filigree charm that you put a drop of perfume into that also clips to the undergarment it has no markings except pat pending on all three clips the lady that gave it my mother was at that time in her 90"s just wondering if it is worth anything

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

The front of the two side clips are not filgreed but they are etched with a fancy design

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
7/31/2017
Antique Expert: AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 1 year ago
AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

Is it possible to upload photos of the item, including any and all marks?

If you don’t have photos, I can do my best without them—just let me know—but it’s more accurate with photos.

There should be a +ADD FILES feature next to our Send button.

If not, then there is a paperclip above the reply box that you click to attach photos.

The photos won’t upload unless you also have at least one word in the text box! You won’t see the attached photo along with the text before you post it, but you will see the paperclip or attach button turn green.

I look forward to working with you.

Sincerely, Jennifer

Thank you.

These garment clips were used primarily in the 1930s. The clips would attach the sweater or shirt neckline to the bra straps, to avoid accidentally exposing the straps.

They were also used as sweater chains, when putting a cardigan over the shoulders, to hold it in place, as in the next photo.

The current value of this perfume-holding example would be approximately $35.

If you have additional questions about this item, I am happy to continue working with you. Just continue our discussion in the reply box.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you, please rate my answer. I am not paid by the site until you do. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer, and I will continue to be available if you have more questions on the item. Thank you.

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars. I always strive for 5 star service, but please rate as you feel is appropriate. However, if you are considering a low rating, please try to give me the opportunity to improve my service to you first!

If you’d like to request me for future questions, please put " for Jennifer only" in your post. I respond to requested questions first.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1930? we just assumed it was older because my Mother who is 95 now got it from a lady she worked for in 1938 who was around 90 at that time and had worn it with her wedding dress so that would take it back at least 50 more years which would be about the 1860- 1870 my mother is old but her mind is sharp and she said the lady gave it to her because she took such good care of her and had told her that she had worn it during her wedding and if it is from the 1930 that would mean that 90 year old lady could not have worn it for her wedding

No, this is definitely no older than 1930. These came along with the advent of the brassiere, which was in the early 1930s.

Family stories very often get slightly changed over time, or a story is provided with the wrong item. I see it very, very commonly, including with our own family heirlooms.

Jennifer