LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

I have an 1800''s traveling trunk from Germany with

Customer Question

I have an 1800''s traveling trunk from Germany with Elisabeth Weigands name stamped on it and trying to figure out what it's worth.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. This is a German handmade immigrants trunk from the 1840-1870s period. It looks to be made of pine and the paint lettering appears to be original. It was to be on the US Ferry to America and she was headed to Cleveland. The dovetail joinery and iron bindings all look original and there appears to be no restoration I can see in the photo. This trunk has a value of 685-900.00 in todays market if you were going to sell it. For insurance- the insured value would be 1000.00 as you would need to replace this with the same condition and type and these are hard to find to begin with let alone the condition you of yours. It would take time and patience. These types of trunks held all of the persons worldly belongings when they moved and came to the USA for a better life. It is in great shape and condition for the age of the trunk and a real gem to have. To sell these online you would be looking at 750-900 and to sell locally or to a dealer it would be the lower end 650-700.00 Dealers would want a discount also as they wish to profit in their purchases however for this trunk I would say not to go below 575.00-600.00

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer it is just how I am paid from the site. Thank you.

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars: 1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all questions.