Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a vintage pearl necklace given to me by my

Customer Question
Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a vintage pearl necklace given to me by my grandmother in her will. It was given to her by my late grandfather after returning from WWII. The item was purchased in Germany. I'm not sure where he was stationed. I just know that this piece was her favorite and locked in a safety box in a bank.

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

Please let me know if you need photos, and how I go about selling it?

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
7/30/2017
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 1 year ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as a dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-up offers. Although I am USPAP-trained, the assessments given here do not meet USPAP requirements.
Thoughtful responses take time. My responses are not instantaneous.

How long is the necklace in inches?

I need the diameter of one pearl ( largest and smallest pearls if graduated) in mm.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the pearl necklace.

Please send a photo of the marks and/or words on the clasp..

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

OR -

Site Help With Photos:

1-***-***-****

The Help service with photos does not cost extra. This is not the same as the pop-up that asks about phone calls. The pop-up is an extra phone call service related to the appraisal, not photos.

I do not send pop-up offers.

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The necklace is between 14-16 inches. There are loops of continuous pearls around the entire necklace with the original clasp. I honestly don't have anything to measure the mm of each pearl. However, can tell you that their are smaller ones and then their are some that are oblong. I've attached photos for your review. I've brought in to several antique dealers and the price they've stated was ridiculous. Thank you for taking the time to review. And, then, if I decide to sell where do I go to do that to ensure that it is a fair value paid out? Thanks, Kelly

Your pictures did not come through at this end.

Please know that pearls have dropped in value in the last 30 years due to the heavy farming of cultured pearls.

It is usually very important to know the size of the pearls. If you could take a close up of a few pearls next to a ruler, I could get an idea of size.

Value of pearl jewelry is most often based on the diameter of the pearls.

I have lots of old pearl jewelry in my personal collection.

Kind regards,

Doris