Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a book titled "The Tall Book of Nursery Tales"

Customer Question
I have a book...

I have a book titled "The Tall Book of Nursery Tales" copyright 1944. Is there any value to this?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I have had this book over 25 years. It was published by Harper & Row, New York and Evanston. At one time it was at the San Antonio, TX. library. This is all I know.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

This is all I know other than it is good condition.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Antiques
7/29/2017
Antique Expert: Diana F., Antiques Appraiser replied 8 months ago
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

What kind of condition is it in? Does it have any damage?

.

Does your book have a dust jacket? If so, does it list anything about the price on it? If it does have the does jacket, does the flap (inside part of the cover) have any standalone letters, like A or R?

.

You mentioned you got it form the library. Its your book stamped on the inside with the library's name?

.

Thanks
Diana

No dust jacket. Stamped "San Antonio Public Library" It is in good condition.

Thanks.

.

There were later editions printed that you can usually identify by marks and covers, but given that your copy actually has the library stamp on it, then you likely have a first printing. Libraries generally get 1st printings and 1st runs of books.

.

The Tall Book of Nursery Tales is credited to Feodor Rojankovsky though he was actually the illustrator. He actually made quite a name illustrating a number of children's books in the 1940s.

.

. Based on my records of past sales, it should have a current resale value in the range of about $40 to $60 for a copy in good condition (solid cover, minor rubbing, no large tears, no major stains, etc).

.

I really wish I could say it was worth a whole lot more right now. That's not to say the value won't go up as these older copies get harder to come by, especially if it's in good shape because many have not held up over time.

.

If you do decide to sell it, I'd contact vintage book shops in your area. You might also check with local antique stores. There are a number of collectors that deal in books. To be completely honest, you'll definitely get a higher value by selling it yourself.
.
If you want to try selling your book yourself, I highly recommend checking out Etsy, Barnes and Nobles Marketplace and Amazon's Marketplace. They are great sources for selling and they do handle worldwide sales.

You can also check into:Albris or Biblio. Albris actually has one of the best price rates out of three, but Biblio tends to get more customer traffic.
.

If there's anything else I can do, please let me know.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you.I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.
Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively.If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.
.
If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
.

I look forward to working with you again.
.

Have a great weekend,

~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser