Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

My sister and I have our great-grandmother's old wooden

Customer Question

Hi - My sister and I have our great-grandmother's old wooden embroidered rocking chair. We were wondering how to go about finding its value.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: It seems to be in between a child's and full adult rocker - maybe a sewing or nursing rocker? There are no arms on it. I is beautifully embroidered and in wonderful condition. The wood is dark. There are no nails in it. Looks like pegged. Also, all the original rivets are holding the embroidery in place and same with the back beautiful golden material.
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: There seems to be no markings for the maker.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 2 months ago.

My name isCustomerand I look forward to working with you.

Please add pictures of the item(s) and any maker's marks by clicking the Add Files button.

The Add Files feature will prompt you to locate the file you'd like to attach from your computer.
You can repeat this process to attach more than one picture.
Add one, write a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't know how to do that on my phone. I keep pressing buttons but no pictures come up. I'm going to try another way.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello did you get the picture? I can't afford to call you. Sorry.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello!!!!!!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Where are you????
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well since you didn't help me one iota, I'll need my refund back. Thanks for nothing.

Good morning.

It was 1am here on the east coast, so I went to bed but I do see the photos here now.

This is a 1910 late Victorian oak rocker with tapestry embroidered seat and back.

The value of this rocker is $300 retail.

Some sites that I recommend for selling on your own are https://marketplace.apartmenttherapy.com/, www.loveseat.com (in CA), Layerhome.com, Pamono.com, Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local),
Chairish.com, Ioffer.com, Furnishly.com, Deconet.com, Lushpad, Krrb.com, and letgo.com (local).
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.
They do all of the work and you get a check 14 to 45 days after the sale minus their 15% to 25% (negotiable!) commission.
***Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. Bonuses are also welcome! ***

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.