Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have what i think is a cork & edge royal shield lion and

Customer Question

Hi, i have what i think is a cork & edge royal shield lion and unicorn ironworks teapot. how can I be sure the mark is authentic?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: the mark is black and appears to be under the last glaze. it is fuzzy on the edges and the words on the ribbon are not clear but it says mosaic patent over the top and cork & edge underneath. the lion and unicorn appear to have childish or innocent expressions.
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: its very heavy for its size. at first glance it appears to be plastic until you pick it up and tap it and realize it's either heavy glass or such. the finish is like an orange peel all over and its a light powder blue all over with no flowers. its squat and fat and the lid sits flush with the pot rim not set inside it below the rim of the pot.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as a dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-up offers. Although I am USPAP-trained, the assessments given here do not meet USPAP requirements.
Thoughtful responses take time. My responses are not instantaneous.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the teapot.

Please send a photo of the marks and/or words on the bottom.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

OR -

Site Help With Photos:

1-***-***-****

The Help service with photos does not cost extra. This is not the same as the pop-up that asks about phone calls. The pop-up is an extra phone call service related to the appraisal, not photos.

I do not send pop-up offers.

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for replying. the quality the pics aren't that good since I wasn't planning to use them this way. The mark says Patent Mosaic over it and Cork & Edge under it. I haven't been able to find a mark that has the same expressions on the face of the lion and unicorn so I am questioning their authenticity. I can get better pics if needed. The roughness of the texture is delicate, not overstated, very heavy for it's size and just a few nicks and chips. Plain blue with no other embellishments except the fold back on the spout and the horizontal ledge line around the body's center. i'm new to collecting so forgive me for not using correct terms. Also, what would be the best resource in a book or kindle book to help me continue to identify authentic pieces? thank - Lani King
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I dont want to invest further in a fake so i want to rely on email for now. thanks - lani king
Expert:  Doris replied 2 months ago.

Let me study your information and photos.

********************
I do not normally participate in the extra charge phone call services. I give my best answers in thoughtful writing.

Besides, you will have an assessment to print out. I did not send the pop-up ad/offer.

********************

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you. :)
Expert:  Doris replied 2 months ago.

My study indicates that this mark is a Chinese import mark found mostly on Staffordshire reproductions. It dates 1980s-1990s.

Cork & Edge was a Staffordshire Pottery dating 1846-1919.

It has an estimated retail value of $35-45.

I truly wish I had better news.

As for references, I use dozens of sources - many books, online resources such as retail sites and my travel.

If you want to start a collection of references, try Amazon.com books. There really is no one best resource.

The best collectors, dealers and appraisers in antique goods are always learning. One can never know it all.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com/about/selling

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.

Expert:  Doris replied 2 months ago.

************************************
Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris

************************************