Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I'm thinking about buying a silver serving dish that has

Customer Question

I'm thinking about buying a silver serving dish that has marks on it that are difficult to read. This is what they look like to me: 1670CoA. Does that make any sense to you?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: The item is a covered silver serving dish. That's all I know.
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 2 months ago.

My name isCustomerand I would love to help. If it only has 1670COA, that is the pattern/shape number and that indicates to me that this is silver plated and not sterling silver. To be sure, please look for more marks or symbols. A silver plated serving dish would be worth under $30. American sterling will have to be marked with Sterling or 925. European sterling would have to be marked with a series of silver assay symbols. If there are none of this type of mark, then you have silver plated ware, a base metal that is coated with a thin film of silver.

Please post pictures of the item(s) and any maker's marks or signatures by clicking the Add Files link.
The link will prompt you to locate the file you'd like to attach from your computer.
You can repeat this process to attach more than one picture.

If I already told you all you needed to know, then do click the stars to finish.

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your help. I think you've told me what I need to know.

Great!

Please click the stars now so that the site will know I've helped (it is how they know to pay me separately from what you pay). I'd really appreciate it!