Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

Looking for general information/history on this scale. Also,

Looking for general information/history...
Looking for general information/history on this scale. Also, what is its value in today's retail market ? Thank you
7/14/2017
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-up offers. Although I am USPAP-trained, the assessments given here do not meet USPAP requirements.

Thoughtful responses take time. My responses are not instantaneous.

Please tell the words/names on the scale.

Kind regards,
Doris

Words on the scale are "BALANCE MÉNAGE NON POTHCOWWEE"

Thank you for the information and photos. They really help.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I want you to have the best answer.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

This is an antique late 19thC merchant balancing scale. It is modeled after the Joseph Beranger design first introduced in 1849 in England. Your scales are French.

Along with the graduated scale weights, the estimated retail value is $400-450.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com/about/selling

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.

Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Doris
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser