Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have a on the bottom of a brass paperweight that is an

Customer Question
I have a mark on...
I have a mark on the bottom of a brass paperweight that is an oval with a crown inside the top and then GR under that and 54 under that. I'm trying to find out who made that mark.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: This paperweight has the obverse of a 1793 cent - probably an electrotype that came from England in the 1970s
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Antiques
7/14/2017
Antique Expert: Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 4 months ago
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be glad to help with your paperweight.

Please go ahead and attach a photo at your convenience, plus a close-up of the mark.

Just click on the paperclip icon and it will automatically pull up your picture files (on your computer) for you to select a photo to attach.

If you don't have a photo in your computer, simply email yourself one from a smart phone and save it in your picture files. Here's picture-attaching help if you need it:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Many thanks,

Robert.

PS. How heavy is it?

where is the paperclip icon? wgt. = 66.6 gms
im not calling

Thanks for the weight.

You may find it easier to upload the photos to a free public picture hosting site and give me the link to them. The one I prefer is www.imgur.com

Just two clicks and a copy and paste and you are done

Go to http://www.imgur.com/
(no need to 'sign in' or 'sign up' it makes it too complicated)
Click on "New Post"
Click on "Browse"
Select the pictures you want to send me from the box that pops up.
Hit "open".
Click on "Copy"
and paste it here where you are typing to me.

Many thanks,
Robert

PS. There’s no need to respond to any pop up phone request, it will cost you extra which you don't need to pay. The phone requests appear to come from me, but do not, they are automatically generated by the site. I don't work for JustAnswer, I operate as an independent appraiser ‘on’ but not ‘for’ the site, so have no control over what they put on your screen! So my apologies for that.

im working on sending 2 pictures

Thanks!

once again - IM NOT CALLING

There’s no need to respond to any requests for a phone call, it will cost you extra which you don't need to pay. Please ignore them. The phone requests appear to come from me, but do not, they are automatically generated by the site. I don't work for JustAnswer, I operate as an independent appraiser ‘on’ but not ‘for’ the site, so have no control over what they put on your screen! So my apologies for that.

I copied 2 pix to that website - but there is only an COPY button no OPEN

Thanks for persevering with the photo attaching process. I see what you have now.

The crowned GR mark is a British Weights and Measures proof mark.

Leave this with me and I'll have a full answer for you as soon as I can.

No need to wait by the computer, you'll get an email with my response.

Robert.

ok - I have 5 more of these with different coins on the obverse - ill be on my pc for awhile

Hi Jim,

This is certainly an interesting curiosity! The brass part is an original English flat brass weight, most likely a 2 oz, and part of a set of stacking weights typically used with a balance scale. It has a number of marks and numbers that date it to the 1930s.

The 'crowned GR' mark (the "GR" standing for the Latin "George Rex" or King George) is a government Weights & Measures verification mark that was used between 1910-1952 during the reigns of King George V and King George VI. The two digit numbers are the various years that the weight was inspected and verified. "33" (1933) appears to be the earliest and "42" (1942) the latest, which gives you an irrefutable span of years when it was in use.

Under the "GR" there's a small "54" which is the code number for the County of Cheshire, meaning that this weight was issued, verified and inspected in that county.

The coin is a reversed "flowing hair" wreath large cent, dated 1793. As you say, most likely a UK made electrotype, though why it's reversed is a mystery.

It's hard to value a composite vintage item like this. For a start its value is slightly less than the sum of its parts. In other words, the weight would sell on line or at auction (without the coin) in the $30 - $45 range and the coin repro would probably sell for $20 - $30 on its own. Together like this, maybe $20 - $30.

Hope this helps!

Please let me know if you like to explain or expand on any of the above, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,
Robert.

Robert, thanks for the info. The obverse is reversed in the picture only. That's the way it came out of my phone. I'm a large cent collector and a friend of mine gave me these to see if I could find out what they were.

Aha! That explains it! I was mystified as to how someone managed to make an electrotype in reverse.

I guess the original owner considered the identical dimensions of the large cent and the recess in the weight were too good to pass up and put the two together. If you ever wished to separate them, a good soak in acetone should dissolve the glue without disturbing the patina.

Robert.

an electrotype brockage would explain how it could be done in reverse - I own both electros and brockages - but I have never seen one combined. The 5 others I have just have numbers and single letters - H 23, 11 58, A 26,
I 21, 9 7. What do these signify?

Are they all the same size as the first, a 2 oz weight?

The British Weights & Measures marking system was never standardized and it was up to individual local jurisdictions to make their own arrangements and marks, so each county, barony, hundred, borough, city, liberty, town, manor, parish etc, had its own system. The only constant was the crown verification mark. So without that, it's impossible to be more accurate than to say these auxiliary marks are most likely year ciphers. The "A26" could be "Anglesea 1926" (if it's stacked A/26)

all the letters/numbers are stacked. I'm not completely sure these are electros though. There is a 1793 Liberty Cap cent that has dentils (as on 1794 cents) instead of border beads.

The color doesn't look right to me and neither do the border beads. There doesn't seem to be enough of them.

This example, for instance has 22 beads above the word "LIBERTY" whereas I count only 19 on yours.

Your right - there are 19 on this copy. The obverse of the cent shows it to be a S (Sheldon) 8 or 9. I checked the 20 Wreath cents I own - My S8 & 9 have 22 beads over Liberty as do my S6 & S7. However My S10 has 23. The color is fine - there are many different shades of brown on early copper cents due to the differences in the quality of the copper used in making the planchets.

You may be right on the color, it could be okay, it's always impossible to evaluate color from photos alone. One needs to have it in the hand.

Interesting about the beads. Glad to hear your Sheldon 8 & 9's are the same (22 beads)

Thanks for your help. Is this going to cost more than $5? I'll give you a excellent rating rating

Thanks, ***** ***** was a pleasure helping you with this.

I'm not sure what JustAnswer told you as regards ***** ***** for the question. I'm just an independent appraiser and, in a way, as much a customer of the site as you are, so don't get to see what's on your screen. I believe the $5 is meant to be a deposit and the charge is whatever value you set for the question.

Have a great evening,
Robert.

Robert S.
Robert S.