Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have a complete set of Henrys Commentary in hardcover.

Customer Question

I have a complete set of Matthew Henrys Commentary in hardcover. Cannot find listing for it anywhere. It is only 5 volumes but is the entire bible and it is unabridged. Other than the Fleming Revell Publishing title there is no other information in the volumes as to when or where it was published. If you have any info on this set please help
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: Just that they have been in my family for atleast 3 generations and are in fairly good shape still
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-up offers. Although I am USPAP-trained, the assessments given here do not meet USPAP requirements.
Thoughtful responses take time. My responses are not instantaneous.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos. Condition is a major factor in determining book value.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

OR -

Site Help With Photos:

1-***-***-****

The Help service with photos does not cost extra. This is not the same as the pop-up that asks about phone calls. The pop-up is an extra phone call service related to the appraisal, not photos.

I do not send pop-up offers.

Kind regards,
Doris

Expert:  Doris replied 3 months ago.

If you are unable to send photos, please describe the condition of the five volumes in detail.

Are there dust jackets?

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Here are a couple of pics
Expert:  Doris replied 3 months ago.

Thank you.

I researched your set while I was waiting to see the condition.

Your 5 volume set has an estimated retail value Of $1000-1300.

How to sell books:

http://www.internetbookselling.com/sell-old-books.html

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.
If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars!

This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be the pro that takes the question.

Expert:  Doris replied 3 months ago.

************************************
Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris

************************************

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I was looking for more information on the date and location of the publication
Expert:  Doris replied 3 months ago.

I believe the date was 1895. Let me check the location.

Expert:  Doris replied 3 months ago.

The date is 1895 and location was Chicago.

*********************
I am only credited by JA for my work on this question if you rate my answer positively, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

*********************

Expert:  Doris replied 3 months ago.

************************************
Hi there!

Kind regards,
Doris

************************************