Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.
48688175

What is a Waltham pocket watch mfg 1892 14karet gold missing

Customer Question

what is a Waltham pocket watch mfg 1892 14karet gold missing glass and one hand
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: 1892 Waltham 14k pocket watch missing glass and one hand
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: working condition unknown
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Diana F. replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help

.

Thank you for the information. That's a huge help. Do you know the serial number from the gears? If not, do you think you can open it up to get them?

.

Here's a site with some tips on how to open your watch in case you need it:

http://www.thewatchguy.com/pages/OPENCASE.html

.

Thanks,

Diana

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
that number is ***** the watch door which I thought would date it 1892
Expert:  Diana F. replied 3 months ago.

Hi. The number on the watch door refers to the case only. The gears will have a separate number and is what you go by. Records weren't kept on the cases because many people would replace their cases as they wore out or got damaged. You could have an expensive case in a watch with cheap gears or vice versa.

.

Records were only kept on the serial that's on the gears. In order to give you the proper date, info and value, I really need that number if it's not too much trouble.

.

~Diana

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
17843335 is the seral #
Expert:  Diana F. replied 3 months ago.

That's perfect. Thank you. If you'll give me a bit of time, I can put together all the info for you.

~Diana

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the number on the gears is1784
Expert:  Diana F. replied 3 months ago.

Based on the serial number on the gears, it should be a Model 1894, no,. 210 grade. It should be a size 12 with about 7 jewels. The movement or mechanism has a 3/4 plate with nickel finish. These usually a slightly engraved design.

.

Based on records, the movement should date to 1909. There were over 430 different production runs between when it was first made in 1896 and when it was discontinued in 1933. They produced over 1.5 million overall and about 6,000 in your particular run. It was a fairly popular watch during the early 1900s.

.

In excellent condition, the guts of the watch or movement alone will be worth about $50 to $100 in working condition and $25 to $50 in non-working condition.

.

With a 14kt gold case the overall value of the entire watch plus case, is about $450 to $500 in non-working condition and $500 to $550 in working condition. It would have an insurance value of $600.

.

The exact pricing will depend on the condition and where you sell it. At an auction, you're really dependent on the audience unless you stick a reserve on your watch. They can go high or low. Plus you might have dealers in the audience, so they might try to get values lower so they can make a profit later on.
.
Online markets (like Ebay) tend to go for less. To be honest, with Ebay, unless they're rare or uncommon models, watches tend to go for about 1/2 of the their actual value. Trade shows and antique or jewelry store dealers won't offer the real value either because they will be looking to resell. You might ask them about selling on consignment. They'll take a percentage of the sale, but might already have a buyer in mind.
.
Your best values will come from a private sale one on one to another collector. For that, Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic are great online stores for selling old watches and do sell worldwide. Etsy is another great place and it generally has some of the lowest listing rates. I always recommend checking them out first.

.

There is also craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). The only downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places.

.

That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.
.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.
.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
Have a great evening

Diana

Expert:  Diana F. replied 3 months ago.

Hi.

Just dropping a note to let you know it was a pleasure working for you and to see if there is anything else you might need? I noticed that you have not rated my answer.
.

If there's a problem with my answer, I'll be happy to address any concerns you have. Please keep in mind I am only credited for my work and my answer if you rate me. Rating me does not cost you anything extra, so it would be very much appreciated.

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

Thank you very much and feel free to let me know if there's anything else I can do.
~Diana