Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I picked a piece on the side of the road that I think might

Customer Question
be a vintage stackable card...
I picked a piece on the side of the road that I think might be a vintage stackable card catalog. But I couldn't find much info online. It's not in perfect condition. Just wondering if you have any further details on exactly what it is and how much it might be worth...?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Antiques
7/13/2017
Antique Expert: Diana F., Antiques Appraiser replied 4 months ago
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi again.

Thanks for requesting me.

.

I'll be glad to take a look.

~Diana

Hello again.
Thanks so much! Look forward to hearing from you.

You're welcome. I know what it's worth. I actually have a "newer one" from about the 50s that I used to use to hold art supplies. Yours is older. =)

.

It has a furniture label that interests me. I'm not sure I can figure out who that is, but I want to try.

~Diana

I thought the furniture label was interesting too! And someone was just throwing it out on the side of the road... I had to rescue it. Lol

I don't blame you. I probably would have done the same thing. Sometimes that's the best way to find little treasures. lol

About half of my favorite pieces in my house.

LOL

Just curious if you were able to find out any further details... I'm so excited and intrigued over this piece.

Hi.

.
Unfortunately no on the maker. I can't find anyone who used a label like that. It could be the label of the furniture company or even the supply shop who sold it. With no letters to make out, it's just too hard to ID. I thought I might be get lucky. I do know it's not one of the larger companies like Globe or Yawman.

.

It's an older style. I do think it was part of a larger stacking set. That's why the top is just strips. It probably had a frame and top or could have and at least another few set of drawers. It's not made with anything super fancy like dovetail joints, it does look part of the frame was made with what's called rabbet joints. The wood is likely oak underneath all that paint. I see hints of the grain where it's thin. =)

.

The handles were replaced at one point. I can see the 4 holes where the label plate was originally attached and then it was removed and replaced with a single knob. Now both are gone. The holes are interesting because usually a plate with a screw on either side. Yours had a screw in each corner. I tend to find that with older library cabinets.

.

Given the construction and style you're looking at a cabinet from the very early 1900s (circa 1920 or so). The condition is not good, but I don't see anything that can't be refinished easily. The frame is solid. Even the drawers don't seem bad.

.

It needs a good cleaning. You could strip the paint off pretty easily and sand it down. I think it would take a good stain fairly well. Or you could use some wood oil if you didn't want to stain it. I'd probably go with a nice deep oak or mahogany stain. Worse come to worse, you could always repaint. For the top, I bet you could cut a few small pieces to create a new top. For handles, they sell replacement pulls on ebay and Etsy for pretty cheap. Now I kind of want to go see if I can find one to work on. =)

.

As is, it would be worth about $100, but refinished, it could easily be worth about $350 to $400 if you would try and sell it locally. I always say locally because if you list it online, then you have to worry about shipping and most buyers factor that shipping cost into what they're willing to pay.

.

I think you'll have a lot of fun working on it.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.
Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.
.
If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.

I look forward to working with you again.
.

Have a great afternoon.
.
~Diana

Hm. I'll be honest. It's kinda interesting that the mystery of the piece is hidden so deep even an expert couldn't find definitive answers. I thought they prob replaced the handles at some time point too. Something drilled in each drawer center. Wish we could have figured out the company who made the furniture label tho. That would been the icing on the cake. Can I purchase replacement drawers? If so at what cost...? Would it increase the value to make it worth it?
The first letter looks to be an m if you see it up close. Don't know of that helps.

There's just so many furniture companies that have come and gone over the years that it would just be impossible. There have been hundreds at least and if that's retailer label instead of maker, then can add a few hundred more to that list. It could even have been made in Europe. With a clear stamp or label, it's just too hard to say.

.

I'll keep the picture in my mystery file just in case. I tend go back through that from time to time and sometimes I get lucky. If I do I'll be sure to post a message to you.

.

I think the drawers are in pretty good shape. You just need some new pulls or handles. You can usually get a set of 10 of those on Ebay for less than $30. New drawers would cost more...generally $20 to $30 each. So, they may not be worth the investment. If the bottom are falling out, you could just buy cheap wood and replace those slats.

.

Like I said, as is, it's worth about $100, but restored, sanded and restained and with new handles, it could easily be worth about $350 to $400.

.

~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser