Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a Maddox Colonial Reproductions small secretary desk.

Customer Question

I have a Maddox Colonial Reproductions small secretary desk. It has a front that opens, revealing 7 cubbies (3 large and 4 small) and 5 small drawers. The desk has 4 larger drawers (3 are one size and the 4th is a bit smaller). There is a tag in one drawer that has Maddox of Jamestown, NY and an ox. On the back is another tag (which has faded) but has Maddox Colonial Reproductions. It has the words, Pattern, Finish and the last is too faded. Next to Pattern is the # 114 (hand written) and next to Finish is Ch (also hand written). No other writing. Does the piece have any value, it is in almost mint condition. Thank you.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: The piece is all wood, even the dividers between the drawers are solid wood. When you open the lid, two finished pieces slide out to support the lid. The piece is cool.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 month ago.

This is a circa 1940 Maddox Colonial Reproductions

cherry ladies writing desk/secretary in shape 114.

This desk in good condition has a value of $350 to $450

retail. Some sites that I recommend for selling on your own are Layerhome.com, Pamono.com, Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local), Chairish.com, Ioffer.com,
Furnishly.com, Deconet.com, Lushpad, Krrb.com, and letgo.com (local).
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.
They do all of the work and you get a check 14 to 45 days after the sale minus their 15% to 25% (negotiable!) commission.
Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. Bonuses are also welcome!

Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 month ago.

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.